Chapter 20 : Brussels Sprouts

I was cooking dinner when the phone rang. I was waiting for Nicholas to call tonight. He went off early apparently, coz it was a little early for him to call.

I turned to wipe my hands on the kitchen towel and checked on Thomas who was busy with his blocks in his playpen. He turned too when he heard it ringing so I hurried to answer it.

"Hello Nick?" I said grinning on the phone.

"Uh...No. It's Rob" His voice stilled my hands on my hair. Okay. This was unexpected.

"Oh.." I reacted "Sorry! I was expecting somebody else." I hurriedly apologized and realized It must have went off wrong.

"No. It's okay. Are you busy?" He asked.

"Well...no. Not much. Just cooking dinner." I admitted lamely. God I'm going to fumble this conversation.

"Dinner? That sounds nice." He replied wistfully.

"Uh...yeah. If you like brussels sprouts that is." It was an automatic response to a line like that.

"Hmm...brussel sprouts. I could do with some." He chuckled.

"No you don't. I distinctly remember you not liking them." I frowned to the mouthpiece. This guy is shitting me again. I remember him turning down that specific dish I prepared once or twice.

"You remember." He answered softly.

I paused. What is he doing making polite conversation? I sighed. I've sighed a lot lately. I took a deep breath and waged on.

"Of course. Can I help you with something?" I cleared my voice just to make sure he heard my question clearly.

He laughed.

"Can't a guy call an old friend without needing anything?" He asked.

He's being playful now? I'm done. Easy for him coz he's so detached.

"Rob..." I called out. His name sounded weird on my lips. I haven't said it for a long time since I chose not to anymore. "Be serious. What is it?"

"I talked to Katy and her project managers for you. They're willing to work around your schedule." Rob explained.

"That's great. Although I've been thinking of...backing out." I said. It's better to tell him already so they don't have to wait for her.

"No" He said. "We could work out an easy schedule. We'll cut down your working hours, we can hire nannies and babysitters if you like" He continued insisting and my mind keeps forming walls to fight off any convincing excuse.

"Rob I'm sorry for wasting your time. I can't go through with it." I admitted frowning. Why does my heart feel so confined? Damn him.

"Wait. Listen, If we get..."

"Shit!" I interrupted him when I smelled the food burning on the stove. I clutched the phone to my ear then ran to uncover it and accidentally burned myself, dropping the cordless on the floor. Distraction is my worst enemy.

"Fuuuuuuuu..." I almost screamed. I looked to Thomas who was hanging onto his pen looking at me. "I mean fudge baby, fudge." I salvaged the curse.

I stop and clutched my right wrist making sure my burned palm and fingers don't get in contact with anything. Stupid for forgetting the mitten. I slowly let go of my hand then picked up the phone and checking if Rob was still there.

"Rob?" I checked while running cool tap water on the affected area.

"What happened?! Are you alright?" His panicked voiced hit me in the gut, pain was more sharp when somebody else is concerned.

"No it's okay. I just burned myself." I explained hurriedly and slowly turned off the stove, careful to use the good hand only. Goodbye Brussel burned sprouts.

Grimacing, I turned to Thomas who was crying now and wanted out. His face crumpled when he saw me distressed and almost screaming a while ago.

"Rob I have to go..." I said while I hurried to Thomas and still clutching the phone to my ear.

"Are you alright? Is it bad?" He was still there on the other end when I lifted Thomas in my arms and practically hissed loud and clear when I had to clutch the baby steady.

"I have to go! I'll get in touch soon." I didn't even wait for him to  repsond before I turned it off.

***********

I was applying toothpaste on my wound when the doorbell rang. I just got off the phone with Nick and he didn't like me alone at home after finding out about the incident.

Thomas was still up and he didn't like being ignored. He was sitting up in his crib mouth down eyes watery.

"Honey, it's already late and Mommy's hurt" I explained hoping it would suffice.

It didn't, it only made him bawl louder.

The doorbell rang again so I glanced out the window only to see a black car in the curb. Nobody called.

I carefully picked up the baby and clutched him tighter to me with my left hand. My right hand was still un-bandaged. I'll probably manage it later after all the fuss died down.

I walked barefoot to the foyer and peeked in the peephole.

"Rob! What are you doing here?!" I exclaimed, still reeling from the surprise. I was fumbling clumsily with the double door locks with my right hand, grimacing the entire time from the pain.

"Are you okay?!" He said as soon as I opened the main door. He grasped my shoulders turning me about checking me from head to toe.

"Ow! Slowly!" I scolded as he accidentally brushed his hands on my right hand.

"Sorry!" He aplogized. "I can't help but check on you. You sounded in trouble when we were on the phone and you wouldn't explain further!"

I glared at him. Thomas was staring at him the entire time  then giggled, clearly amused by the grown man in full-blown panic.

"I'm okay. It's just a little burn" I said.

I suddenly hissed loudly from the painful contact when Thomas pitched forward to Rob, I automatically clutched him with both arms hurting myself again in the process.

"Thomas!" I struggled then found my arms free of him. Rob had reached out and settled the baby in his arms like a pro.

"I don't think you're okay. You could barely use your dominant hand, and a fussing baby won't help" He said while he walked to the family area leaving me to stare after them.

My heart constricted in my chest again. Any more of this drama and it'll just fail me soon enough.