Chapter 64 : Idiots of the UK

Present Day, February 2018, Malibu

(Rob)

I had a good few minutes to myself while the baby was busy playing in the sand. I can't help but think about what Nicholas said before he left. I didn't really expect him to act so amiable towards me, I was rather expecting a hostile approach like I was invading his territory.

If I looked back he rarely does act negatively towards me, except moments he thought I was upsetting Kristen.

Maybe because he doesn't consider her his anymore? Hmm...I do know that they haven't been together for a few months now. Although I'm pretty sure he is in a better position than I in her book. I sighed. I like villainy roles, but not this one. I do hope not this one.

Apparently, after that scene earlier, it's as if he figuratively handed them to my care. I actually don't understand, although maybe I'll get to talk to him soon and have him explain this twisted idea of his. I sighed.

At the moment, I believe I have two people whose well-beings are my responsibility. I smiled to myself as a surprised warmth took over me at the thought of this. I'm actually looking forward to it.

I decided to carry back Thomas inside after a few minutes. He was distracted for a moment when Nic left and didn't notice any change at all, but it didn't take him that long to notice that his father was gone. He started getting cranky and I know this was my first test. I should hand him back to Kristen with nary a scratch or a teardrop.

"Okay, mate. Don't start with the waterworks yet." I calmly stared at him as I picked him up and patted the sand to clean him up.

He stared back at me with a frown, realizing that I wasn't one of those he wanted to see at the moment. "Boo boo..." He mumbled with shaky lips and watery eyes.

"I don't understand what you're saying but I know you're upset." I replied in a serious tone, hoping my eyes would convey it all. "So I'll take you back to your Mommy, okay? Hang in there."

Apparently, If you mention 'Mommy' in front of a toddler it delivers a compulsive reaction, like crying.

So that's how I came across a disheveled Kristen with her crying, very upset, 1-year-old son in my arms.

"What the eff happened? I was looking for him everywhere." She looked like she just woke up and wasn't happy to find an upset baby without coffee in her system first.

"I... We were..." I stammered. I was still formulating a perfect response when she cut me off perfectly and took Thomas from me.

"Where's Nic?" She asked as she tried to pat Thomas in comfort.

There goes my inflated sense of responsibility at the mention of Nicholas.

"He didn't wake you?" I asked surprised. Now that she mentioned it, I remember Nicholas saying that she was still asleep earlier. I didn't know the asshole left without telling her.

She looked back surprised. "Why? Where is he?"

"He.."

"He left at first light, Kristen!" Katy popped her head from the Kitchen doorway.

"What? Why? Did he say anything?" She seemed panicky for a second, upsetting Thomas again. "I'm sorry Honey. I have to go call Daddy first..."

I wanted to explain to her that Nic dropped little Tommy with me before he left and she has nothing to worry about 'cause I can handle it. But of course, I didn't get the chance. She hurried out of the dining to her bedroom clutching an upset baby...and...sporting an upset frown, herself.

"What happened?" Katy suddenly materialized right beside me.

I looked up at the stairs, as if expecting her to come back any moment. I can't help but feel a little defeated. I could have handled the situation better. I started after them when Katy held me back.

"Where are you going?" She narrowed her eyes at me.

"I'm going to check on them." I replied as I shook her hands off of me.

Katy sighed and for a moment she seemed to be looking for the right words.

"I know this is going to sound weird, but I think Kristen will be fine without your interference." She shrugged as if speaking an accepted fact.

"I could handle Thomas while she calls whoever she wants to call..."

"...Nicholas"

"What, Nicholas?" I snapped at Katy.

"She's gonna call Nicholas so I think it's better if you stay here." She glared in emphasis.

"I don't get all this fuss about him. I just wanted to check if my...if my friend...is alright." I wanted to retaliate and tell her that this was none of her business if I make Kristen and Thomas my business.

But of course, Katy knew better.

"Oh really? Last time I checked this was 'strictly business'" She huffed.
"You don't have to worry about them."

I wanted to tell her that Nicholas wanted me to worry about them while he was away but I probably shouldn't 'cause it sounded stupid in my head all of a sudden. Why would he want someone like me to take care of Kristen and his son when I'm generally viewed as a threat?

"You know what?" I narrowed back at Katy.

"What?"

I showed her.

"Did you just flash me a finger?!" She gasped.

"This is all your fault." I grumbled as I went to the kitchen to get myself coffee, wishing it will calm my nerves.

I wanted to... I really wanted to go to her right now. Did she look upset? Yes she did. Was it enough for someone like me to be concerned?

If I think about it, she just seemed to be surprised that her fucking precious Nicholas left without telling her. It's not as if she was depressed or anything.

"Rob...you're overthinking again." Katy grumbled from the doorway of the kitchen.

I took a good sip of fresh coffee and almost scalded myself, but the pain was enough to hid my annoyance with the idiot who actually believed he ever really amounted to anything in their lives.

The idiot was me of course.

***************

A/N: Somehow I feel like the chapter was forced.

Did you guys understand Rob's dilemma and current preoccupation? I wanted to get it through but I fear I failed at showing it. He kinda liked being responsible for them and this time it was guilt-free thinking he has N's blessing.... If you know what I mean.

This is the only time I'll beg for a review 'cause I feel like I fell short of my current expectations.

Please do tell me of your thoughts, comments or suggestions. I highly appreciate all your help.

All my love. Yule.