Chapter 23 : Sushi Dates

August 2014, Japan

"Okay, that's a wrap for tonight" the Director called.

I made my way out of the set to my dressing room, accepting a bottle of water from an assistant before I patiently let them help me change out of my suit.

"Everybody's going out tonight for sushi. You should come." My assistant smiled at me at the mirror. They have been really nice the entire time and I always enjoyed spending time with them.

"Thanks. Not tonight though..." I smiled back politely then stood up to pick my things. I was ready to hightail out of here then closet myself in my hotel room.

I've been high spirits of late, Nicholas and Guy and the other workmates were all for the partying and nights out here and I wasn't the kind who would easily back out. Although the other night we went downtown for dinner and to my surprise, I realized I wasn't new there.

***

"What is this?" I smiled asking him.

"It's our first sushi date" He smiled back while guiding me to a private alcove he reserved.

"What? There's such a thing?"I laughed. Rob and I have been busy lately. It's been months since we saw each other, Twilight promo Japan was a welcome vacation for me and him and Taylor too.

"Well your boyfriend's gonna kill me if I take you out in LA" he made a choking sign.  He was always joking about Michael going after him. We all know Rob was just being playful, but sometimes I can't help but wonder.

"Yeah right" I smirked. So he still was going to persist with this joke of going after me.

"well...a Sushi date is something if we do it in Japan" He nods, then winked at me. "Come on just humour me" he added.

I looked around the cozy resto and realize we're the only ones in our group. "You didn't invite anybody else?"

"It's a date! They're not welcome." He insisted then assisted me to my seat.

"Really....okay. I'll pretend tonight" I said jokingly, then proceeded to wink at him back.

He didn't smile though, it took him a little while before he answered back with a shrug.

"You can pretend forever. That'll be awesome."

"whoa...it looks really cozy" Nicholas' voice broke through my thoughts. Suddenly I was hyper aware of my surroundings. It is the place where he brought her 5 years ago. Fate was really playing a joke on her.

She was still standing there on the entrance looking around while the others already proceeded to their table.

"Isn't there any other restaurant around here?" she mumbled to Nicholas who went back for her.

"Oh. There are some. Although Guy said somebody recommended it to him" Nicholas answered cheerfully while sitting us.

"Yeah! He said it's a place I shouldn't miss. He used to go here too. Lots of memories" Guy added to the conversation.  I tried to look him in the eye, but he was busy looking around.

He can't be serious. He probably knew what he was doing. I sighed. There's no use regretting things, maybe it hurts to remember him all the time but in the end it would be the exact thing to help her let go.

***

I was sitting on the terrace smoking and feeling melancholy when I heard a knock on my door. It was already 10 in the evening and it probably isn't room service.

There goes my alone time. I wipe my wet eyes with the back of my hand then proceeded to check who it was, they were all out tonight so I was a little hesitant. I peeped and was surprised to find Nicholas standing outside my hotel door.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be out?" I asked.

"Are you okay?" He went in as soon as I opened the door.

"No. It's just the smoke" I proceeded to sniff hiding my earlier distress. I didn't really feel like sharing my woes even to some friends.

He raised his eyebrows questioningly, suddenly I find myself in his arms.

"Nicholas...." I mumbled. I didn't fight him because he was holding on to me tight. So I just buried my face in his shirt and proceeded to sniffle quietly, thankful for a momentary comfort.

"It's okay." He whispered to my hair.

"I'm an idiot" I gasped out.

"No you're not. You're amazing" He countered.

I sobbed loudly now. He probably doesn't understand what's happening to me, and words like those might just be a lucky throw, but it was nice to hear. I wasn't able to stop the sob that tore through me. I try my best to stop the overflowing of emotions but my silent tears betrayed me.

"What?" He asked worriedly.

"He said the exact same thing" I whispered, then I shoved out of his arms then turned my back to return to the terrace, needing the space and orienting myself back to reality.

"Sorry..." I heard dejection in his voice. It's not his fault. He's just being nice.

"I'm sorry too....you shouldn't see me like this" I explained to him. I really wanted him to know that I appreciate his friendship, but I was just too broken to be reasonable at times. "I'm still suffering from something....I don't know if you know"

"Yes I know....this may not help but I think I'm going through the same thing with someone else" he explained. "It helps if you don't let it rule you....and being weak is okay sometimes if you can't help it"

I just nodded to him. I sat in the terrace couch and he cautiously sat beside me gauging my reaction. There was none, I was hungry for company, and a little part of me was glad that he was here.

"Don't you just hate it when your emotions get the best of you sometimes?" I asked no one in particular.

"Yes...But sometimes it's good too. It's also the same thing when you fall in love with somebody new" he quietly answered.

It seems like we were sharing a lot of thoughts for the past few weeks, me and him. It felt good to share it with somebody, but it was painful too if you realize he wasn't exactly the person you wanted to share it with. The person you crave for happens to be lost to you already.

With that thought again I grimaced, I wanted to cry loudly and tear everything apart but I can't coz I was supposed to be done with that. I was supposed to...months ago...but apparently I'm not.

Then I felt his hand on my shoulder turning me to him. I just let myself go then, it helps to cry anyway.

"Just one last time....then I promise not to burden you with my tears anymore"I whispered to him.

Then I let my heart out to him the whole night. We were there on the terrace till the wee hours of the morning, until I fell asleep with my heart a little lighter, in the arms of another man.