Chapter 46 : Koi Ponds

December 2015, 2666 Aberdeen, Los Angeles

I've been sitting here at the pool area for a good full hour already.  Earlier, I had someone to talk to, a random director or producer or somebody else in the industry.

It was good.  They were a big help.  Especially now, considering the fact that the party was held in what I used to consider home. Considering that the person I used to share it with was also here.

Past memories, good and bad, jumbled in my mind. I clenched my fist then squeezed my eyes shut, as if to prevent them from flashing like unwanted scenes in a tragic movie. It doesn't completely eradicate it coz something would come through the barrier, may it be something too precious or something too painful.

I opened my eyes after a few moments and stared at the scenery in front of me.  It was a view of the sparkling lights of LA at night, and of course the view of the party which was still going on albeit the lessened number of guests milling about. 

I guess they won't be missing me anyway.  I was up to my elbows in errands earlier, trying to smoothen out stuff that he forgot to cover for this impromptu party he threw. Typical Rob. Though there's just something so natural to casually fall into place and grab the reins in this party. I smile a little, I actually enjoyed it to be honest.  It was my house anyway, the decor hardly changed, the same furniture, the same people...maybe only the feelings were gone.  But, are they ever really?

I sighed and reached for the glass of wine I had on my side.  Cheer up Kristen, the fact that you are present was a brave move already.

Is it ironic that it was only last month that I could hardly attend any party without Nic plastered to my side? That it was a comfort to have someone to run to when you try to run away from your past? Now, barely a few days without Nic and I'm attending one of Rob's parties.

Honestly, I don't even know what I was doing here.  If he hadn't called her home phone to personally ask her to come, she probably wouldn't have.

Right now, I'm here and I'm gonna make the most out of it.  I smiled at the low lighted garden set out sloping in front of me, there's our lil' koi pond we personally filled with our choices. How charming is it that the water flows down like a stream downhill to a smaller pond in their patio.  It used to drive Bear nuts. I laughed to myself with the memory.

The weather was wonderful tonight, thank God. The guests were so many they'd crowd the house if it rains in the patio. I couldn't imagine salvaging that scenario. Rob would have to do it on his own.  I probably would be there at the side cringing at his attempt.

I unconsciously cringed at the imaged.  I blinked and realized I was all alone here at the top now.  I glanced at the lighted pool and found it very inviting.

I stood up from my recliner and slowly took my heels off, then approached the pool at the shallow part.  Slowly, I took a seat on the cold stone and one by one lowered my legs to the warm water.

Aaah. Wonderful. How I would love a night-time swim, if only.  I laid back with my arms supporting behind me, head thrown, eyes closed, smile on my lips, then stayed that way for a good couple of minutes. I miss this place so much.

"Care for a swim?" The familiar deep voice startled me from my reverie.

I spun around and found the object of my imaginations sitting on the beach chair I just vacated.

"Rob!" I said, acknowledging him.

"Go ahead, there's no time better." He smiled encouragingly.

I looked at him from head to toe. How did he manage to sneak behind my back without making a sound? I could've been murdered and I wouldn't have known. I grimaced then remembered he was good at it since then.