Chapter 62 : Victims

A/N: First of all I want to apologize again for taking too long to update this. Im experiencing a huge setback and all my priorities are currently warped at the moment.

Rest assured I haven't abandoned the story and will continue updating until it's done. Im just not sure how often that's gonna be especially with my current predicament.

Anyway, thanks for the support guys :)

Forgive me in advance for this very 'detached' chapter. I'll get my groove back soon enough.

************************************

March 2016, Los Angeles

I glanced at my watch. 5 minutes more and I can get my trainer off my back. I slowed down my treadmill for a cool down and contemplated my current dreary existence.

I've been back in L.A. for a week after drowning my sorrows in London for almost 2 months. It took me 2 months to realize I'm back to square one moping about because of her, because of my questionable life decisions.

Mum and Dad were close to kicking me out on my arse when Nick Frankel called me, reminding me that his job is on the line and I better grieve back in LA or he'll bury me alive himself.

So now I'm here back in LA preparing for another stint, half dreading living in the same city with her and half drowning in guilt I couldn't assuage. Thus, the dreary existence.

Somehow I know it was good enough for both us not bumping into each other. She successfully avoided me after that disastrous scene last January, I could at least grant her that, I could at least stay away from her after making her life hell for the second time around.

But, there was no denying the fact that we would be unable to avoid our fate for too long.

After my workout I headed to the local private clinic for my routine medical. Just as I was rounding the corridor I bumped into somebody.

"Shit." He muttered.

I glanced up and recognized him immediately.

"Nicholas? Hey." I smiled in greeting. I was about to reach out to clasp his hand when I saw hesitation in his so I lowered mine. "How are you?"

"Peachy." he shrugged and looked behind him before turning to me again. "Uh...I'm in a hurry I'll catch...-"

"Nic!" a distinctly female voice called out. My brain flickered awake, there was no denying who it was, especially when she rounded the corner and spotted me, flashing her green eyes in surprise.

"Kristen?" before I could reach out for her, she turned and fled down the corridor to the open garden.

I hurriedly side-stepped Nic to run after her. After two months she couldn't deny me this confrontation anymore when fate itself granted it.

But before I could run after her in apology Nic grabbed onto me.

"What are you doing? I have to talk to her." I mumbled trying to get loose.

"No." He insisted.

"Mind your own damn business, Hoult" I glared, finally getting free.

I ignored his shouts of protest and went straight for the garden looking for her. She was hurrying down the grassy steps to the side entrance of the clinic when I caught up with her.

My heart was hammering in my throat. Suddenly, the past two months of non-existence seemed miniscule and I'm back to my groveling self on her front doorsteps.

"Kristen! Kristen wait!" I almost begged. I held on to her hand while she stubbornly shook it off. "Please Kristen just hear me out..."

It all depended on this moment. She has to see my regret. She has to know how much I hated myself for letting her go. She has to hear it. I know if she does, she'll understand and everything will go back to the way it was. She has to...

"God Damn it Rob, let go!!" She cried as she struggled away from me. I was already hugging her to me.

"No. No. You have to listen. I miss you. I'm so sorry. I re.." I wasn't able to finish my excuses when I was removed bodily away from her. I turned to see Nicholas holding her in his arms.

"Go away Rob." He warned.

I narrowed my eyes at him, at them. 

Suddenly it dawned on me that they were here together....they were back together.

I saw red. I went straight for him ignoring Kristen's protest.

"Fuck!" Nicholas pushed her out of the way but it was enough for me to catch him off guard.

He fought me off as I dragged him down on the grass to pin him. I was too angry to hold back. I was too angry to realize she was trying to pull me off him. I was causing a scene and I didn't care. He stole her and took advantage of her vulnerable state, the asshole!

I manage to deliver two blows  and a cut on the lip when Kristen got in the way.

"Stop it!! Just fucking stop it will you!!" She screamed, I saw two security details coming our way when she held up her hand to stop them.

For the first time I looked at her. There was no denying how mad she was.

"Listen Rob, I'm only going to say this once. Stay the fuck away." She was about to turn when I reached out for her hand.

"So just listen to me before you go replacing me with him already!!" I retorted.

"Replacing you?!" She screeched. "You left me on the altar you asshole! You were done and out when you didn't show up!"

I blanched. It was hard to swallow the truth. "I know and God knows how much I wanted to kill myself for doing it to you. I swear I changed my mind hours after but when I got there you weren't there to listen anymore. Kristen I swear to God..."

"I got tired of waiting in my wedding dress..." she mocked before turning to help Nicholas up.

"just please...let me explain" I reached out for her again.

She sighed. "No..."

"I love you..." I managed to croak out.

She quieted for a moment before turning to me, her eyes glassy with unshed tears. "What do you know of love?"

"You....everything that is you..." I responded sincerely my heart bursting in my chest.

She turned away to backhand her tears and warn off Nicholas to stay back.

"You say things but you don't even mean them...you make me want things that you're never really going to offer. I may seem strong to you sometimes but no...I do hit lows and you just refuse to see them, Rob." She stubbornly turned to me with her head held high.

"God...just please let me make it up to you..." I cried. "I love you too much to lose you..."

She sobbed. "It's too late Rob, it's too late."

"It isn't too late..." I hushed comfortingly as I draw her crying form into my arms.

She stubbornly pushed me away again. "Im sorry...but it is. I'm having a baby with Nicholas....and that's a chance I'm willing to take."

I froze the moment she mentioned 'baby,' but it took me more than a minute for the words to finally sink in.

Before I knew it she was gone, the last thing I heard was her mumbling apologies but I was too numb to react.

I was just too numb.