Chapter 38 : A Kiss

January 2018, Los Angeles

I was standing there at the corner, head down, conscious of my every movement. I know he was just across, looking at me, observing, probably contemplating to approach.  The band started to play a ballad and couples start coming together at the center of the open garden. It was splendid to see them swaying under the moonlight. 

I looked up and glanced his way.  He was still looking my way.  Was he ever gonna approach me? What's taking him so long?

I sighed, cast my eyes down again. This was futile. He was not interested.

I turn to look at some of my friends, but they were busy with their own. I fidget in place, unsure now why I was even here.  I knew he was gonna be here like he told me the other night when we met. Now, he's acting like he doesn't know me.

Even this self-doubt can't stop the knowledge that those green eyes were trained my way.  It's just a wonder why he's taking so long. I probably should go.

Before I could contemplate saying my excuses, I felt a hand on my arm.

I turned, and there he was. At last, he actually made up his mind.

"What took you so long?" I asked Rob. My shy smile was deceiving, I was very pleased.

"I was trying to build up the courage to ask you to dance with me." He answered, there was no smile, but I know that look, determined if not passionate.

He extended his right hand in an open gesture, waiting for me to reach out. I smiled and clasp mine to his.

It was instantaneous, the jolt, the feeling of connection. He drew me into his arms and led me to the center of the open platform where everyone was slowly dancing.

It was enchanting, from the glittering lights hanging on the trees, the distant chatter from other guest, the wonderful music, the exquisite dresses and clothes. The man in front of me, his green eyes was all that I can see right now, the strong feel of his shoulders underneath my right arm.  The warm clasp of his hand on my waist as he sways me to the music.

I could fall in love with him right now.

There was a soft look on him, it's as if I can read his mind, there was a need to keep me near him, a need to protect and possess.

As the music goes on, the closer we get.  We got in deeper and deeper to the feeling that surrounds us.

I never questioned how perfect it seemed. How warm I was feeling, how natural it was. I could stay in his arms forever.

We draw closer, our face inching closer to each others, my eyes flutter close, anticipating the next thing that I know was supposed to happen.  It's gonna be the one thing that'll complete this night. Rob was gonna kiss me and I never wanted something so badly in my life.

I can feel his breath fluttering on my face, my heart slowly thumps while I try to hang on to him not wanting to slide on the floor now that my knees start to weaken. 

Rob....I am so...

"CUT!!"

I blinked.

"CUT!!!" Katy's shrill voice sounded over the speaker.

I blinked again orienting myself to my surroundings.

"Are you okay?" The warm voice that dominated my entire night suddenly reminded me of reality.

I glanced up seeing Rob in front of me. He was still holding me, both of his arms still on my waist, more of to prevent me from falling probably.

"Uh...I'm...I'm fine." I managed to say.

He smiled and let go of me, and all the warmth that I was feeling went with him.  I was suddenly cold and couldn't prevent the shiver that overtook me for a second.

"You're cold." His eyes narrowed at me, noticing how light my dress was.

He was like that when right now, all I could ever think about was that kiss. That kiss that did not happen. Where's the kiss? Why was there no kiss? There should have been one! I wanted to scream in truth, but all I did was stand there in front of everyone looking frustrated as hell. This doesn't bode well.

"Katy, Kristen's freezing. Can we take a break?" Rob's voice broke through my thoughts.

"Sure, sure! I'll just rerun this shot first." Katy answered.

I rubbed my hands on my arms preventing the chill while I wait for the assist to hand me my coat.

Suddenly I found myself surrounded by his own coat.  He took it off and wrapped it around me.  It was typical of Rob and I forgot how lovely little gestures of his always meant to me.

"Come on" He said with a smile, reaching for my hand once again.

Like earlier, there was no hesitation in me. I gladly reached out to clasp his, following him willingly.

He led me to the dressing tent which was a good deal warmer, and where we prepped for earlier. I was suddenly feeling very contemplative, thus a little quiet than the usual. I wonder if he noticed, if he did, he was kind enough not to point it out.

He went straight to the coffee maker and produced two steaming mugs while I sat there patiently on the couch, waiting for something, for anything.  Katy can call us back anytime soon, she's fond of changing the script and plot lately as I've noticed, like what she did with the kiss.

I could kill her.

I frowned. I caught myself pining for something I shouldn't.

God, this is hopeless. I closed my eyes and leaned back on the couch, not wanting to look at Rob. Every time I do lately, I feel every single emotion this body can produce. He wasn't even doing anything at all, it's ridiculous.

That was my last thought before I fell asleep on the couch.

***

I made the coffee the way she preferred. It was funny how I actually got the opportunity to do this for her again, the assist did know when to make herself scarce.  I smiled, congratulating myself.

I turned with the two mugs secured, ready to present her own to her, only to stop after seeing her flat-out on the couch.

I could laugh at the irony of the situation. I did want to take this break for an opportunity to chat, but she was asleep now.

Her head was positioned awkwardly, her closed eyes, weary from all her sleepless nights was still noticeable even with the light make-up.

I placed the mugs on the coffee table and went to retrieve a wool blanket from the armoire, slowly I laid it on top of her, careful not to wake her up also as I arranged her head in a better angle.

Afterwards, I took my coffee in one gulp and made my way out of the tent.

Katy has some explaining to do, especially about that kiss that did not happen.