Chapter 66: Soulmates

Los Angeles, January 2017

Once in your life you meet someone you find that instant connection with.  

You might meet them early on in your life when you're just still finding out who you are, or maybe you'll meet them during those mid-years when you're already trying to figure out life itself.  Sometimes, some people already meet them later on in the years when they were already starting to slow down, reminiscing or maybe regretting.  There's no denying at some point you meet your soulmate.  

Once you find that person, you know it will be a mistake for them not to be part of your life.  Sometimes life conspires and would take that person away and you try your best to fight Fate.  Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you fail, but there's one thing for sure, such instance would have the exact same feeling, a gnawing emptiness, a dread of not having that person anymore.

Sometimes fate can be so cruel, because sometimes you don't have a choice but to let them go.

How do you even know if it was right to let them go?   What if it was the greatest mistake you'll ever make?  How do we even know that?  

I'll never know if it will be a mistake, it feels like a mistake but I do know that in the end she's Happier.   She will be happier.

"Rob?" Kristen walked out to her patio where I was waiting. "I'm sorry for making you wait" She added, she approached me as I stood up to greet her. 

Her face was paler than usual, devoid of any make-up, she was wrapped in her velvet dressing gown.  She looked worse for wear.  Nicholas was right on being extra protective of her recently. 

"No it's okay.  You didn't make me wait." I said reassuringly.  I met her halfway and paused, unsure if she would welcome a hug from me. 

She smiled when she noted my pause and she didn't hesitate to stand on her toes and wrap her arms around my shoulders and laying her head on my chest.  She was welcome warmth. I look down at her and found her looking up with a smile. I stopped myself from instinctively kissing her on the forehead. No, that would be too forward for now.

"How are you?" She said as she slowly left my arms.  It felt empty.  I felt empty.

"I'm okay.  How are you? Are you feeling much better? I heard from Nicholas it was a rough few months" I asked.  I wanted to know how she got on and it kills me not being able to check on her myself.  I was left to hearing news about her from Tom and Sienna and the odd acquaintance. 

I sat on the rattan furniture across from her as she settled herself down as well, casually arranging her robe to wrap herself more tightly. 

"It was, because of some complications." She replied with a sigh but then she smiled to herself and when she looked up back at me all I saw was complete happiness.  "Rob, have you met him?  He's the most beautiful thing I've ever held." She added with a giggle.  I know she was talking about her son.  Her eyes lit up and I have never seen her this happy for the longest time.

It hurts to realise that I was the cause of most of her misery, that nobody has managed to hurt her as much as I did.  There was complete shame that came with that realisation and it bolstered up my courage and the reason why I was here today.  I responded to her glee with a proud smile.

"He is beautiful." I confirmed with a nod and I reached out for her hand to her surprise.  "Kristen, I know we didn't part ways well..." I said haltingly. 

She shook her head and clasped her hands to mine. "No, listen...l..." She paused. "I won't hold anything against you." She smiled kindly. "I know that whatever decision you had back then you had your own reasons." She added as she gave my hand a squeeze before letting go.