Chapter 27 : White Linen

September 2015, Los Angeles

"Surprise of all surprises again. You came." Tom Sturridge smiled at me.

My flight from London just arrived an hour ago and everybody thought I wasn't coming for this charity event honoring the Indie film making industry.

"Nick had quite a challenge retracting that RSVP" I informed him laughing while straightening my bow tie. My personal assistant Nick obviously can pull anything, but this event was something I didn't want to miss. 

We went in the formal ballroom and looked for the assigned seats, I had mine switched so I can sit right next to Tom.  There were so many people here of my acquaintance that it actually took us a few minutes to get to our table coz I had to give someone or somebody a polite greeting as expected. 

"Robert! I didn't know you were coming!" A sulky female voice said behind us.  I smiled recognizing it, of course.

"Juliette!"I hugged her to me after she gave me a kiss per cheek. "You're looking great!" I said, she did look stress free and extra glamorous tonight.

"Of course Darling! You look dashing yourself!" She said while she looped her hands to mine and accompanied both me and Tom to our seats. "This is wonderful, our table's just before you!" She exclaimed while pointing to a half occupied table in front of us.

"Don't worry, I'll be there sitting with you If you get bored" I winked, joking with her.

"I'll be expecting that." She smiled and gave me a kiss again and went to her assigned seat to chat with her companion.

"Juliette Binoche doesn't age..." Tom said right beside me. I laughed.  It's been months since we saw each other, the last time was when they went home for the holidays in London and we get to have a few drinks at the local pub. His usual observant self always amuses me especially if we get to attend events together.

"I know right? I hope my next project with her comes through though, the last one didn't." He was supposed to work with her again after Cosmopolis but backed out a few months before pre-production. The movie was too dark for her and though he understood, he really did get disappointed when he found out. Of course, she did get to do a movie with Kris again. He smiled at that little inside joke how she stole all his favorite co-stars. If she was here she would probably have a good laugh if he reminded her.

He grimaced. Wayward thoughts.

"...know that you were probably informed.  I just hope you don't flip out though" Tom was saying something beside me. I only caught the last part though so I nodded.  People were getting seated and our table was filling in. I smiled at our companions as an acknowledgment. The lights were dimming already signaling people to settle down. I turned to Tom who was quiet and looking a little pensive in his seat.

"What were you saying again?"I asked confused.

He wasn't paying attention, but his gaze was trained in front of us.  "Rob..." He whispered.

I stole a quick look to see what he's looking at, I did a double take.

I froze in my chair. There in the table in front of us smiling down at Juliette was no other than Kristen.

It was dark but I recognized her anyway. For a moment I thought my imagination conjured her when I was just thinking of her awhile ago.  Nobody bothered to tell me she was going to be here, she probably thought I wasn't coming too.

God, How long has it been? Has it been more than a year already? It feels like ages since they last talked, but she looked at little different from he remembered. She looked happy and relaxed.

He was too busy to check news of her online, he doesn't bother like he used to anymore.  The only news he gets would be from Tom and some other common friends.

She smiled and laughed at something somebody said. She was still standing. Was she seated somewhere else? She must be. She laughed again and now he can hear it clearly over the background noise and the ringing in his ears. God that laugh! His chest tightened and he didn't notice he was grasping his wine glass too tight already. It was dark but he can. clearly make out that signature crinkling of her eyes and the way her grin widens when she giggles. She ran her free hand on her shoulder, quickly relieving a crick in her neck.  He remembers how she does that surreptitiously most of the time. That neck in her strapless gown.  He gulped. He took in her appearance and felt the sudden weakening of his knees. God Kristen! He didn't notice he was breathing too fast to be noticed already.

"Rob shit! Are you having a stroke?!" Tom grumbled right beside me.  Apparently he has called my attention quite a few times already but of course, I was distracted.

I let go of the wine glass, that thankfully didn't break. I looked down at the table, training my eyes anywhere but her vision.

Tom was already sighing right beside me. If we were anywhere but here he would be cursing me to hell already.

Who cares about Tom. I looked up, suddenly panicky coz I might lose sight of her. She was still there standing oblivious to his presence. It was too dark she would never notice they were there unless Juliette told her.

"Kristen..." I froze. For a moment I thought it was Tom who called her attention. But it wasn't. It came from my other side at the aisle. Some guy was walking towards her, he probably just came in.

Kristen stopped talking and her face took in that animated smile she usually reserves for close friends and confidants.

The guy came forward and his height blocked his view of her. He leaned in to kiss Juliette. Probably some co-star, he was turned away so they'll never know who he is. Tom was saying 'shit shit shit' right beside me. I don't know what his problem is. As far as I can tell I was just fine.

Suddenly, the world went in slow motion as the guy turned away from Juliette and straightened to stand beside Kristen. His Kristen. He can clearly see how his other hand slowly went up and looped on Kris' waist to draw her closer to him.  His Kristen. He went closer, leaned in closer then slowly bent down to..

I looked down. I looked down at the table cover and hurriedly tried to discern the pattern. There was no pattern. It was a fucking white linen. Fucking plain white linen. His Kristen. Fuck. Fuck his life. He tried to take in slow deep breaths and gathered his thoughts. Of course. It was Nicholas. He should have recognized him.

"Rob...I'm sorry mate" Tom was whispering right beside me.

White Linen. Why is it plain white? Don't they know how messy that is? It should have been black. The china would stand out better in black linen. It should have a pattern also. Patterns can distract someone's mind. That was more acceptable. He should have a word with the caterer and give him a piece of his mind.

Kristen. His Kristen.

God. I can't handle this. I think i'm going bat shit crazy.

I slowly stood up mindful of the stares I'm getting.

"Where are you going?" Tom asked.

"Smoke" I answered back then continued on to the exit to find a smoking section.

Fucking white linen.