Chapter 60 : Chasing Rainbows

Present Day, February 2018, Malibu

The sun was high, but it wasn't that high to be painful yet. Right after waking up I went straight to the beach. I didn't even bother eating breakfast. I'll probably just wait here until Katy calls for the shoot.

I was sitting on the same spot where Kristen and I was sitting last night. She cried thinking I regret doing this MV with her, she actually promised not to bother me anymore, to make herself scarce, when in reality it's the last thing I wanted to happen.

I kicked my foot in the sand, digging it deeper while I buried my face on my knees. My throat suddenly felt so tight thinking about last night.

I wanted her to know badly how I want her back in my life again. I wanted her back badly eventhough I know I don't deserve her. I may not succeed but at least she knew how much she still means to me, but it was too late.

For the past two years Tom explained to me what I was refusing to see with my own eyes. I can't help but see it for myself last night. They were a family. She has a family. She finally has what she was wishing for. I remember how much she wanted us to be one. I took it for granted. Now, it was too late. I can't help but hate myself again.

"Bo bo!"

I flinched. I hear a giggling sound behind me but there was no mistaking that high pitch sound now.

I straightened and turned to find Thomas struggling up in the sand and doing his best to stand up using my knee for leverage.

"Hey little guy...what are you..."

"I kind of knew he was going straight to you." Nicholas voice interrupted what I was about to ask.

He was following right behind, watchful of his son who was now comfortably cuddled in my lap. I can't help but grin and ruffle the baby's hair.

"Good morning." I greeted him. My smile held back, not forgetting last night.

"You're up early" He replied.

I cringed, sensing a casual awkward conversation coming up. I glanced at him to nod, and wondering where he was going with this.

"He seems quite comfortable with you" He indicated with his head the baby on my lap who was now happily playing with the sand.

"If you're wondering why don't bother, I'm wondering the same thing" I smiled sheepishly and reached out to pat Thomas on the head. "He's a good kid."

"He's a handful and we both know it. You've seen Kristen at home with him for the past few weeks." He said nonchalantly and suddenly I can't help but feel gulity invading this guy's home and keeping close with his family.

"I'm sorry..It's no..." I stuttered, on a brink of an excuse.

"I'm glad." He replied dismissedly. "She hardly gets any help..." He paused. "...ever since we broke up. I'm worried how she gets by sometimes. I'm glad you're there to...to take care of them."

I froze on my place realizing what he was trying to say, what he actually was trying to tell me. I couldn't give him a proper response. I feel so guilty but humbled at the same time.

"Anyway, I have to leave for Los Angeles earlier as planned. Tommy here will be staying with his mommy of course. Will it be alright if you...if you..." He paused asking me with knowing eyes.

I nod. "I'll take care of them."

He smiled and I realized he was actually dressed up to leave already.

"Are you leaving right now?" I asked.

"Yep, car's ready. I had to leave him to someone so he won't notice me leaving." He frowned. "Kristen's still asleep upstairs, in case you're wondering."

Yes, I was wondering alright.

"I hope it won't be much of a bother." He stated, trying to gauge my reaction.

I looked down at the baby who turned to give me a toothy grin. I smiled. "Of course not. I'd be happy to."