Chapter 18 : 2445 miles

"Tell me all about it..." Nicholas' voice sounded out from the earpiece of the phone.

"Well...he was here today, and you know that already" I said nonchalantly.

We don't live in the same house ever since Thomas turned one. It was inevitable, we knew it from the start.

Though unlike how my previous relationship failed, I try my best with this one. Nicholas was blameless, but he had a share of the shit I went through after that fall.

"How did it go?" He asked. There was a note of caution in his voice. He probably doesn't want me to know how he's feeling about this sudden reunion.

"Well...we talked about the project Katy was proposing.."

"and...?"

"I can't go through with it." I said with finality.

"How come? You were fine with it, and it's about time you go back to acting." He suggested.

It was always an issue on when I'll be going back to work. Everybody knows I love my job, but things change, and it's silly to suddenly go back with 'this' project to start with.

"It's just that Thomas needs me right now...and to go back with something like this...people might give more meaning to it than it should." I sighed. Let him take it for what it is.

"Why do I feel like that isn't the reason you're holding back...?" He asked with a little laugh. I frowned. Trust Nicholas to find this amusing.

"Nicholas! Seriously!" I screeched on the mouthpiece.

He laughed heartily now. "I miss you!" He said after.

I sighed. "I miss you too...I think." I added grumpily. "This conversation isn't helping!"

"Okay! What do you want me to say?" He asked, still with a trace of humor in his voice.

"That everything's still gonna be the way it was..." I admitted to him, and probably to myself.

I was scared. I was scared of the looming hurt. I'm scared of feeling again. Probably because I know I haven't fully eradicated it yet, that it was still possible.

Why? Why after all this years I'm still capable of feeling this way?

"Kristen" Nicholas' solemn voice came through. "I can't promise anything...but I promise I'll just be right here."

Yes. I know he'll always be there. It was what I was scared of. It was unfair. I thought of those words as we ended the call. I thought of it until I fell asleep, stifling those unwanted tears in my eyes.

I thought of it.