Chapter 52 : Jealous Hearts

February 2018, Los Angeles

"Can you pass the ketchup?" I murmured to Katy who was sitting right next to me on the dinner table.

"Here..." Nicholas said while he surreptitiously pushed the ketchup bottle in my direction as soon as he heard me.

I hear Katy snigger beside  me and I knew she caught the gesture when the others were too busy to notice.

We were having dinner and Nic and Thomas were the surprise guests, much to Kristen's delight. Since they arrived an hour ago, I was torn from being awed at seeing the little kid of hers, and bummed that the person who fathered him was here too. He was supposed to be miles away like I thought he was.

I have this awful laugh bubbling inside me, threatening to get out. The irony of having to face the reality of your loss on the very same day that you realize you want someone still is surprisingly humorous.

"Thanks." I murmured, not even sure if the supposed recipient got it, but a confirmatory smile my way was enough to tell me that he, as usual, was fine with the arrangement. Our demented love triangle is back in full force.

Nicholas was sitted in front of me on the long rectangular table, right next to him, of course, was the current object of my desire. On her lap was a rambunctious one-year old who wouldn't stop jumping up and down, trying to get my attention across the table since we started.

"Thomas, Honey just one more please..." Kristen almost begged the baby to take another bite of his food, but it was futile.  He was too busy spitting the food all over the place.

"I don't think he's gonna eat unless Uncle Rob-y notices him." Nic laughed and teased Thomas who responded with gurgling laughter, as if he understood what he just said. "Come here soldier!" He reached and took him from Kristen.

"What? They call me Uncle Rob-y now?!" I complained to Katy, and I swear she almost choked on her food. I glanced at the oblivious parents, a little glad they didn't hear the exchange.

"He seems quite taken with you, Rob" Nic pointed out with a quizzical look on his face as he settled Thomas on his lap and tried to feed him himself.

Runs in the blood, for a second there I wanted to say out loud, but then I glanced at Kristen who was too busy smiling adoringly at father and son, and I had the urge to smash somebody's face in.

"It's okay, you finish eating. I'll handle him. It's about time you get a break." Nic said to Kristen who didn't hesitate in going back to her plate.

I can't help but stare at what's playing in front me.

"This must be-" Katy coughed into her table napkin. "-killing you!" and coughed again.

I narrowed my eyes at her before looking back at Nic who was getting the upper hand on Thomas who was now surprisingly well-behaved.

"So, Nic...are you guys still gonna drive back to the city?" I asked.

Nic looked up surprised at my question. "I was planning to..." he answered then looked toward Kristen who was studiously ignoring us. "...but Kristen thinks it's too late for me and Thomas to drive back."

"Oh...so you guys staying in a nearby hotel?" I asked.

"No need for that!" Katy intruded. "I'll see if I can find you a room."

"Katy, it's fine" Kristen spoke up. "Nic and I can stay in one room with Thomas. The room is big enough"

"Oh..." Katy smiled. "Interesting." She murmured but I'm pretty sure I was the only who heard it.  I heard that even with the constant ringing in my ear.