Chapter 19 : Tomodachi

JULY 2014, JAPAN

"Why are you always so solemn?" His voice distracted me. I glanced across the table to look at him.

"What?" I asked.

"I was asking why you are always so solemn..." He said with that ingratiating smile.

"Umm...I don't know. It's not like I'm doing it on purpose." I shrugged, returning my attention to the ramen in front of me.

"Yes you are, especially when you're with me." He said audibly. Some people from the group actually turned to look down the table at us.

"Uhh!" I scoffed. Unable to say something with my stuffed mouth.

He smiled and leaned back on his chair enjoying my discomfort. He waited for me to swallow my food and for an appropriate comeback to his statement.

I wiped my mouth, then narrowed my eyes at him. That british cockiness reminds me of someone. I don't like it.

"Listen here, dude" I signaled for him to lean over so I can whisper. "I don't know what's going on that mind of yours but trust me when I say I don't take you personally..."

He glanced up bringing our faces closer. I flinched.

"Okay. That's good." He smiled.

I leaned back to continue eating when he spoke up.

"You're just one moody female I guess. Probably on your period or something." He was grinning.

"OW!" He exclaimed when I kicked him under the table.

Now, almost all the staff looked down at the table at us. We both looked back and smiled innocently.

"Shut up and eat" I glared at him while he keeps laughing it off and rubbing his shin.

"Come on, let's go light up" He said after dinner. Reaching out his hand for me to pull me up.

"What?" I asked but still I held on to him.

"What what? You're always deep in thought I could never start a conversation" He said while he led me to the smoking area. Dodging the crowd and making sure I kept stride with him.

"I'm sorry" I apologized as soon as we were alone.

"It's okay" He said while lighting up his cig then handed me the box to take one.

I took one, slipped it between my lips then reached down to my pockets for the lighter but failed to find it.

"Here" He leaned over to light up my cig, holding my face steady with one hand, cupping over the stick then lit it up with his lighter.

I puffed then continued to stare at him. I knew him way before then. I remember meeting him at my 23rd birthday when he came with Riley. We didn't get to acquaint ourselves with each other then. This probably serves as a good setting to do so.

"Now take a deep breath and relax" He instructed along with hand motions sweeping up then down.

I laughed. "What are you doing?" I asked in between puffs.

"I'm teaching you how to chill" He winked.

I shook my head, he is unbelievable. His cockiness is like a breath of fresh air now.

I just laughed at his antics and listened to him ramble on.

"So we should be really great friends after this." He said after a while of talking about shooting and the movie, and Japan.

I shrugged. "Probably" I teased.

"Why probably?" He lost his smile now. I guffawed.

"I have a bad history with British men" I smiled, then stubbed my finished cig.

His eyes widened, he thought for a moment before turning back to me. He knew of course what and who I was referring to, but of course, like everything else now, it's a tasteless joke.

"I'll be the good history then." He smiled amiably.

******************************************

okay. any thoughts on this tandem? :)