Chapter 14 : Robert Douglas Thomas Pattinson

PART II  : KRISTEN

Calabasas, January 2018

I was still under the family room couch trying to reach for Thomas' milk bottle. The damn thing had to roll to the farthest corner out of my reach.

"Hang in there, honey, Mommy just needs to find a way to..." I grunted. I positioned myself flat on the floor with my right arm hooked inside with the end of the mop. I just need to hit it so it'll roll back out.

Slowly I swerved the end towards me hitting the bottle in the process. Terrific.

"Got it." I said. Then I straightened up to look back at Thomas who was probably patiently waiting for me to get his bottle back.

He wasn't. He wasn't there.

"Thomas?" I put the bottle back on the counter then stood up and looked around. Only Cole and the new pup at the corner was there.

Thomas took his first steps already, still alternating it with crawling but we're getting there.  This, was the problem though. You just lose attention for one moment and then he's gone.

"Honey where are you?" I started going around the couch checking if he was behind one. Then I looked to the nearest room to the library just to check, but he wasn't. Then I checked inside the guest powder room, still no sign. I glanced up the stairs wondering if he crawled up while I was busy. So I went to the second floor checking all the rooms. He wasn't there, he wasn't in any of them. I started panicking imagining the worst scenario.

Shit! This is what happens when you sent the Nanny home for a 2 week vacation.

"Thomas! Thomas where are you?!" I called out louder this time. I kept looking around until I heard him call out Mommy.

My heart leaped and I started running down the stairs. It was coming from the kitchen. The dogs were already there when I came. He was outside.

"Thomas! Oh God not again!" I exclaimed. I should have told Nick about the dog flap. It was starting to be a nuisance.

"Coco...co!" I hear him now. I unlocked the door expecting my son crawling around the deck.

The sight that greeted me was so unexpected I actually faltered and had to hold on to the door frame.

"Rob?" I started.

There he was, standing right there on my sun deck. Windblown hair, hoodie down with my son in his arms.

"Hey..." He greeted, smiling sheepishly. "I found your baby." he continued.

"Mom mi!" Thomas shouted reaching out his chubby arms to me.

I reached for him and hugged him to me to calm myself. He's okay, that's great, but my heart was still beating fast in my chest.

I took additional deep breaths, positioned the baby in my arms and faced the one person who until now still has the ability to shake me to the core.

"What are you doing here?" I started. God this is awkward. I didn't know he was coming!

"Katy said to meet here..." He explained.

It dawned on me that he already accepted the part on Katy's video.

"Oh...so it's a go. That's good" I answered. I was still fishing for the right words. It was difficult if your heart rate still refuses to go down. "Come in. You can wait for her here" I lead him to the family area and slowly lowered Thomas in his play pen.

Katy called earlier and told me that she was coming over about the video. I was busy then so I just agreed with everything she said, I didn't catch anything important. I also didn't hear her mention Rob's name, if she did, I'm pretty sure I would've caught it.