Chapter 10 : Meet Thomas

Los Angeles, January 2018

"Rob you really need to come! How can we do this if you don't even show up for the cast meeting?" Katy asked rhetorically over the phone.

"Cast meeting.....cast meeting for a freaking music video" I grumbled.

"Yes! It's my direction. I deem it important" She answered. "And besides, we still have to convince Kristen and you're going to help me....she doesn't know yet"

"What do you mean she doesn't know?!" I exclaimed. Seriously, how could something so simple become so complicated suddenly.

"Well...she doesn't know you're here yet and that you said yes" I can practically hear a giggle on the other line. Damn Katy and her matchmaking tricks.

I know Kristen's single again. She broke up with her ex last year. They've been going out since 2015.

"How could she not know? I was a feast for those papz when I showed up my face here for the first time since the past year." I reasoned out. Every time I tune in a news channel and go online, random pics of me at the airport comes up.

Now I remember what I hate about LA.

"Come on Rob, it's gonna be really fast" she said.

"I think I can handle really fast" I replied quietly, she barely heard me. When it sank in I can hear her whooping at the other line.

"Okay! One down, another to go. Now I need you to drive here to Calabasas" She said.

"Calabasas? Can't you have it in an office or studio like any normal film maker?" I demanded. Seriously, I'm already doubting her 'really fast' promise.

"Well, you see....Kristen can't leave her house...." she explained sheepishly.

Kristen. Kristen can't leave her house. We're going to her house. What a bomb.

I was already calming myself coz I'll be meeting her again after a long while, and now this.

What is wrong with me? I need to grow some balls apparently.

"Rob.....oh Rob I'm sorry. It's not gonna be hard right? I mean you guys are fine, aren't you? Kristen's like totally fine with the thought of working with you again you know" Katy's not-so-obvious probing is doing more harm than help.

I looked up at my hotel room's ceiling.  I was lying down, although all cleaned up to leave any time. I've thought this through. I agreed to do this video in all equanimity.

Kristen seems fine with it, why can't I? Seeing her again was bound to happen in this small world we live in. Why not do it now and be over it?

Maybe because I'm still not over it.  The last time I saw her was supposed to be the moment where I would have been free afterwards.  It was the time I knew she would never be mine again.

It was exactly a year ago when I actually flew to LA in the express wish to see her. I really didn't know how to go about it, but I knew how it was going to end.

Us, Us was going to end. It was then I decided that If I wanted a clear conscience and a calm state of mind I have to deal with the storm that is Kristen in my life.

So there, I set us up to meet somewhere private. Her house was the best option coz she wasn't able to leave that time considering her fragile constitution, and someone wouldn't let her. Nick wouldn't let her.

I told him I just need to return something, he let us be and left for somewhere. I did return something to Kristen, her heart. I was suppose to get mine back also. Only to realize afterwards that it wasn't possible.

I learned not to deny it anymore and just deal with it instead. This woman owns me forever probably, unless I find a way to purge myself of emotions.

Women in my life the past year comes and goes, all under the limelight. It was all short lived, enough not to call it serious and long enough so it won't qualify as a fling.

Women....women who can never compare to Kristen and what we had. Maybe I'm having a hard time because I keep looking for Kristen in them. Maybe.

"Rob!" Katy shouted on the other line. I forgot about her.

"Sorry..." I answered on reflex. Then I took a deep breath and said, "Okay. I'll give it a try."

"Yes! Thank you very much! I'll meet you at her place" she said happily, then finished the call.

I sighed and pocketed my phone. This is it. I stood up and grabbed my trusty backpack and hoodie. On my way to Kristen.

***

It wasn't that hard to distract myself, I actually enjoyed driving in LA again.  I noticed a new resto and a renovated building in some street or a familiar corner. Then I saw the usual turn I take to get home to Aberdeen. There were so many things to be happy about.

I tuned in the local radio, something happy, so I might be able to pick my mood up before I face her.

Yes, I think I'm gonna be just fine.

I drove through Calabasas parkway until I arrived at a familiar drive, the same place I went to last year. Her house. I looked around. Shit. Katy's not here yet. That sly minx.

Okay Rob. You can do this.

I actually stayed inside the car for a minute and geared myself. I cannot just stay here or else she'll read it wrong. 

Besides, I think it'll be better If I see her first before Katy arrives and makes everything awkward.

I walked to the imposing front door but hesitated. I didn't really want to ring her bell.

I realize, I'd rather see her first.  Maybe so I could stare at her? No. That's bordering psychotic. Okay maybe!

Before I could think it through I was already making my way to the side entrance, I remember the pathwalk leads to the kitchen and back porch.

I can hear dogs barking, but inside the house, so no worries for me there. Maybe it's just old Cole. I miss Cole. I miss Bear and Bernie to be honest, they were greatly missed. 

I walked up the sun deck and took a peek inside the house.  I can see the dining area clearly, the kitchen was blocked by a wall.  I moved a little more to the side right next to the kitchen door and I can hear music clearly now. She was listening to Jenny Lewis, typical Kristen. I smiled to myself. 

I wonder where she is. I tried to flatten my face to window to see through the sheer curtains and get a glimpse of her.

What a psycho. She's gonna freak out if she sees me like this spying on her. I laughed to myself.

Then someone laughed right next to me.

I flinched, shocked, and glanced down.

There on the deck floor is Baby Thomas. Kristen and Nicholas's 15-month-old baby.