Chapter 36 : LA Pack

January 2018, Los Angeles

Today, we shot our first few scenes together for Katy's video. At first I had trouble dodging the papz who were following me from Marmont, luckily it was shot in one of Katy's friend's house and in a gated community so they weren't really able to figure out what's happening.

As far from the gossip mags I've been seeing, they had me and Katy engaged, again.

Which is fine, we can handle that, what I can't stop worrying about is the possibility of messing up Kristen's quiet life again after all these months of carefully hiding under the limelight for her son.

"Okay guys! That's for the party scene!" Katy announced as she finished reviewing her material gathered through her screen.

I laughed on how serious she was on her particular shots. She had me and Kristen pretend meeting each other for the first time, we came with other people but couldn't deny the attraction we had to each other and ended hitting it up. Cliche? Yes, a perfect story for a music video.

It was done in a couple of hours, to the dismay of our extras who was actually having a blast because of the real booze that was provided.

"That's it?! But I was having so much fun!" Suzie complained, now on her 3rd bottle. She was swaying to the up beat music and had to stop when Katy had to review.

"It's okay Suz, after they leave we continue with the party" CJ, another one of our friends spoke up.

If I look around, you would think nothing has changed after all these years. It was the same  people who are here, it's the same group who makes up my LA friends. I might have been gone a long time and actually lost touch, but friends are friends and sometimes time doesn't change anything at all.

I smiled at the playful banter and the non-stop laughs that were exchanged in front of me. It was then I realized Kristen already slipped out while everybody was busy with their own.

I stopped in the middle of drinking and looked around, expecting to see her fooling with one of them. She wasn't anywhere.

I checked at the kitchen, at the porch, even at the bedroom upstairs which was her dressing room, she wasn't anywhere. A little defeated, I went back to the group still wondering why she didn't even say goodbye.

"She went home already." Alicia who was just sitting at the corner spoke up to my surprise, she probably read my mind or got a hint with the expression I have on.

I schooled it. "Who?"

She laughed sarcastically and rolled her eyeballs. She never really approved of me before, but she can't do anything but deal with it, to my satisfaction.

"Don't pretend. I know that look." She informed me coolly as she stood up and left me wondering about my obvious eagerness for my ex-girlfriend's constant presence.

I downed my remaining drink and went around to talk to others, consciously disappointed because she didn't stay.

"Rob over here!" Tamra yelled above the loud music.

Somehow this shoot has successfully turned into a full-blown party.

"Congratulations, you managed to throw a big party even with that cramming schedule of yours" I told Katy and Tamra.

Tamra was Katy's assistant and good friend. She was also one of our good friends back then. If I think about it, I don't have any friend here that I don't share with Kristen. I smiled at how intertwined our lives were.

"Awkward or welcome respite?" Tamra asked with a knowing look. Of course she was referring to me and Kristen.

Katy looked on curiously, waiting for a set down or an unexpected reaction from me. She was disappointed.

"Just work." I replied nonchalantly.

Tamra laughed. "Okay...tell me that again when we get to the kissing and making-out part."

For a moment I think my eyes widened, the two laughed and did a high-five in my expense. I frowned. Trust them to make light of this, which they should. I don't know why I'm doing the exact opposite.

"Nothing new." I forced myself to say, which put a huge smile on their silly faces.

"Okay Rob...whatever pleases you. As long as our girl is fine." Tamra informed me. I did catch what she really meant by that statement though.

I almost sighed. The protectiveness, I can still feel it in full force. Though I was a part of them before, I understand that they can't help but feel a little more concerned for Kristen.

Jesus! It's not as if I came back to deliberately hurt her again.

"Are you guys finished torturing him? We want him to play pong with us with the boys" Scout appeared suddenly and hooked her arms to mine.

I laughed and playfully put my arms around her so she can pull me out of this awkward conversation I was faced with.

"Thanks"I mumbled to hear once we were out of earshot.

"Don't thank me. Kristen said to extract you in such cases." She said smiling.

I paused surprised again. "Really?"

She guffawed. "God no! What she would pay to see the look you had on your face earlier with Tamra and Katy!"

I frowned. I forgot how silly this group can get.

"Anyway, Alicia said to tell you that Kris is safely home already." She said in a serious note again.

I paused this time ascertaining her sincerity. You'll never know with them.

"I am actually...not...pulling your leg. She thinks it's something you would like to know." She smiled.

I looked around waiting for somebody to laugh. There wasn't, and I was even expecting Alicia to jump out of nowhere to bazzinga me.

"No, she was serious...now wipe that look of your face so we can go party!" She announced before pulling me back to the rowdy crowd.

The last person I expected to care was Alicia.