Chapter 61 : Expecting Sushi

March 2016, Los Angeles

"I'm pregnant."

"Pardon?" He blinked.

"I'm pregnant, Nic" I grimaced. I grimaced at the blank stare he gave me across the sushi table.

"I...I know this is all so sudden and...and..."

"Sudden?" He repeated. "I just met you yesterday after not seeing you for more than a month!"

I grimaced again. "I know...I know...It's just that..."

Awkward Silence.

"If I didn't ask you for sushi today would you have brought this up anytime soon?"

He clarified and for a moment I realized he was angry. I wasn't expecting anger.

"Well...you just got back from London and I thought it might be better if I told you personally" I glanced at him and he was staring intently back and I cowered a little.

This was new. I was never the one to cower, especially with Nic. Most of the time I'd be the one telling him to shut up.   Most of the time he was anything but angry.

He was silent for a while. I looked up to check if he was still breathing after my big announcement.

He was of course, pensive would be an apt description for him right now.

"I don't understand..." He almost whispered and I had to lean closer to hear him. "I know you were in birth control...since september when we started to..." He glanced up at me. Apparently I'm not the only one who can't finish sentences today.

"I..."

"Are you sure it's not his?" He said abruptly.

I glared at him. "Nicholas. I might be stupid to get knocked up at this day and age but I'm not some asshole to dump somebody's baby on you."

He suddenly heaved, for a moment I thought he was going to hyperventilate right there in front of me I actually leaned in to reach for his hand.

"Nic..."

"How?"

"I...I stopped taking the pills right after I got engaged." I whispered back, embarassed on how I sounded so pathetic knowing the irony of my situation. "I never saw him after that... so there's no chance it's his."

Another bout of silence. I played with my chopsticks for a while then clumsily placed it back again on the holder and glanced back at him.

He was looking down, probably calculating or something. I know it was a big thing to absorb in a couple of minutes, I didn't even believe it myself when I found out, it took me a day or two.

Funny how we're not even a couple, hardly goofing around, then after that one drunken night we actually made something. That same night I told him we were better off as friends. Now, were gonna be parents.

He went home to London while I valiantly tried to patch up my broken heart from Rob. I was out of a fiancee and I was missing a friend, but I was determined. I had lots of friends to distract me, and my family was there to. I went to Malibu to Dad's place, I was there since January, to get away and also to avoid somebody I was determined not to see.

It was only now that I went back to LA after I found out. I sighed and realized we were both quiet for so long.

"Nic?"

"I'm fine." He said, more to assure himself probably. "We're fine...I just..." He shook his head and I gave him enough time to absorb the information. "I just wasn't expecting it."

I smiled a little. "Yeah...me too," and before he gets the wrong idea I explained myself. "I don't want you to think I'm expecting support...not really. I can handle it."

Blank stare again, then his winged eyebrows collided in the center. Now I know he was really angry.

"What are you talking about?!" He exclaimed.

"Shhh!!" I flinched and hastily glanced around to check for nosy patrons.

So far, empty except for two old people at the other end of the room and a japanese hostess who would occasionally glance at us. Nobody eats sushi at lunch that much anymore

He took a deep breath and suddenly stood up to sit next to me. Whatever I was about to say got caught in my throat for his hands were suddenly on my hips then my stomach.

I was so surprised I actually laughed right there. "That's too high for now, Nic," I hesitated a little before I place a hand over his and dragging it lower. "Here, he's probably right here...and he's the size of a blueberry for now."

He sighed and glanced up his eyes intent on me. "Kristen...I know I'm probably the last person you want.."

"Shut up" I frowned. I know what he was planning to say.

"No...listen. This is weird. This is crazy and it's too much for now maybe but I really want to do what's right. I want to do right by you and...and this baby.." He rattled on emotionally.

"Nic...what are you getting to?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I don't have anyone special right now...you're probably the only special thing that happened...and now there's both of you....and now I'm really hoping that you didn't get back with him while I was away..." He continued.

I smiled, I can't help but warm to his unexpected words. "Why?" I asked.

He visually swallowed and I can sense hesitation. "I want to take care of you...." he asked seriously, and before I can answer him he cut me again. "Please don't reject me" He pleaded.

I smiled and found myself hugging him and nodding. Suddenly all my worries about this pregnancy and how it'll affect my life lifted, i'm just glad there's someone to share it with.

Who would have thought I'd feel like this a mere 2 months after that disastrous non-wedding. I guess I just don't have enough time to bother with a broken heart now that there's something in me that needed my attention. Somehow the little thing patched it back for me. I wriggled and realize Nic's hand was still on my stomach...or near my groin rather.

"Dude...you can touch him later in privacy. The hostess might think we're doing funny business here." I warned.

We both laugh.

*****

I'm sorry it took so long guys. My Robsten heart is just shattered nowadays.

Do leave your thoughts (and anger) at the comments section. :)