Chapter 28 : Conspiracies

I leaned in as Nicholas tried to get his joke along. We were both invited to a charity event tonight and it was our first night out officially, but we still went as separate guest.  We both agreed it's better to keep it to ourselves first, especially considering the fact that  we don't even know what we really are right now.

"That old guy is a class act. Trust me when I tell you he could convince the Kennedys to part with their millions." He whispered laughingly behind me.

I can't help but laugh again, we have been exchanging a few already to draw attention to us in our table and the neighboring ones too. I turned and glared at him, still trying to stop myself from giggling and reach out to playfully punch him on the flank.

"Okay okay I'll stop" He said hands up. "Promise to spend the night with me though..." He continued with a  sly smile.

I shake my head. I can't believe how persistent he can actually be. I smiled to myself.  We thought it was just a one time thing.  Well, I did, until he came over one day to the house with a bunch of Gardenias and a bottle of Merlot.  He said if he can't convince me to spend more time with him he'll just ply me with alcohol and flowers. 

"If you stop joking around I just might." I smiled at him then. Why not? It's not as if I'm committed to anything tonight, or the next day.  I actually like spending time with him. It's just that I'm not really sure where this might lead to and I'm afraid of  making another mistake.

He grinned then straightened up in his chair, behaving like a good boy with a very good secret from then on.

It was in the middle of a speech of a benefactor when I received a text from Ruth. She was here also but sitting somewhere else with acquaintances.

Ruth B.:

Kristen, we have to talk. *

Odd. In the middle of dinner? I glanced to where she was supposed to be sitting but she wasn't there.

Kristen:

Where are you? Can we do it after? I don't really want to leave the table right now. *

I replied hoping it wasn't that important. 

"What is it?" Nic asked after seeing the worried glances I've been throwing over my shoulder.

"Nothing, it's just Ruth" I answered. I returned my attention to the speaker and decided that whatever it is, it can probably wait.

*****************

Rob was on his 4th Newport. He still doesn't have any plans returning inside. Maybe in a little while after he calms himself.

He knew there was a possibility of seeing her here in LA again after he comes back,  he just didn't expect it was going to be tonight.  Now, thinking about it he should have known she'd be here, knowing she was a darling of this certain industry.

He just didn't expect the reaction she can still draw from him. He also didn't expect that the rumor might be true.

"Rob?"

I turned surprised to another familiar voice. She was standing by the door and eyeing him from head to toe. He can clearly see her from his place while she was still trying to figure out if it was really him.

"Hello Ruth" I smiled and dropped my cig at the bin. I turned so she can see me in full light.

"Oh my god. It really is you. I thought they were joking."

I approached her and gave her a big hug even if she was still taking in my presence.

"Ruthie...I missed you" I said laughingly at her shocked expression.

"I know you were invited but..." She started. Her voice still adjusting to her current confused state.

"Yes. You didn't expect I'll actually come." I said. "Don't worry, It was a last minute thing.  I'm sorry I ruined your perfectly planned invitations." I continued to apologize. 

If Kristen and I can attribute our evasion skills, it was to Ruth and Nick, both of our managers' perfect planning. Coming to festivals a day after the other one has left it, different state or city if we're in the same country, those are only one of their perfectly executed moves to help the two people who messed up their lives and have to live with it afterwards.

"No! What are you talking about? It's fine!" She reacted.

She looked at me again from head to toe and recognized the softening of her expression. 

"Oh Robert. I really missed you too you know, I miss Nick also." She said with a sigh then proceeded to hug me to her.  "What the hell were you doing not even saying hi and hello once in a while?!" She complained hitting me playfully, then pinching my cheek.

I blushed. Trust Ruth to make me feel like an errant schoolboy.

"Things became so busy." I explained then saw the disappointed expression on her face. "I'm sorry that was a lousy thing to say" I sighed.

She sighed too. "Did they tell you she was gonna be here?" she asked concerned.

I shook my head, then looked down, I can't tolerate seeing that pitiful expression on her face. I just can't.

With that decided, I took a deep breath and finally looked up to smile at her. She was like a big sister to Kristen, I couldn't let her believe I'm still rooting for my ex.

"No, Nick forgot. It's fine. It's been what? Two years? It's nothing now." I laughed insincerely, then patted her on her shoulder. "I have to go back inside Ruth, Tom might wonder where I went" I kissed her on the cheek and started for the door.

"I'm so sorry Rob" she said to my retreating back and I just pretended I didn't hear it.

**************

"He's here?" I gasped out.

Ruth nodded at me, she doesn't look that pleased.  I can't believe I waited until all the speeches and pledges were done to talk to Ruth. She approached me in our table and practically dragged me to the nearest powder room.

"Are you okay?" She asked concerned.

I don't know if I was okay. I don't know anything right now. My mind was exploding with a thousand possibilities of how this night was going to end. Will he approach and say hi? What will he say? Will he feel the exact same way I'm feeling now? 

"How would you think he's gonna react if he knows I'm here?" I asked with a hopeful expression.

Ruth turned, but not fast enough for me not to catch that painful look that she tried to mask.

"He already knows does he?" I asked quietly, looking down at my painted toes while my hopeful heart crumpled again. "He saw me and didn't even say hi" I grimaced.

"How could he when there's another guy dangling in your arm?" She asked and I can hear the accusation in her voice.

"You can't blame Nicholas...it's none of his business" I explained, no they can't blame him. He was just trying to be a good friend.  Speaking of Nicholas, the thought of what I'm actually getting myself into seems more clear than ever. 

Isn't it ironic how when you decide to move on about something, the world conspires to give you a throwback? A fucking throwback.

"I'm not blaming him" She said. "You're like a daughter or a sister to me, I'm just concerned about some decisions that you are making. But if he makes you happy and you are finally able to let go of the past then I couldn't be more happy for you. I just hopes he's the serious type." She said as she hugged me to her.

For a moment there I wanted to cry, but Ruth gave me an admonishing look to mind my make-up so I just smiled and hug her tightly back.

Once I composed myself she delivered the blow I didn't expect.

"He seems to be perfectly fine that you're here. Show him that you are too. It's about time you two share the same room without killing each other" She smirked. There was no questioning which side Ruth was on.