Chapter 24 : In-N-Out

"You're early" I said to Rob who came in through the kitchen door carrying a bag of groceries with him, I stopped my heart from reacting.

"Good morning" He greeted me with a smile he uses to melt the hearts of a million of his fans. It's annoying how effective it is even to my hardened one.

"When you said 'check-up' I though you meant a call" I complained to him as I expertly mash Thomas' squash with one hand, silently suffocating the excited reaction I have to his presence.

"I'm sorry I didn't call" he hurriedly say as he stood right beside me by the counter slowly taking out the things he bought.

I stopped and took in his actions. "What are those?"

"It's nothing..." He answered while still continuing taking out bags of fresh produce, cold cuts, even baby food.

"Those are not nothing." I insisted. "Put it back."

"No chance." He ignored me.

"Rob!" I tried his attention.

"Rob!"

We both turned surprised at Thomas who was in his high chair.

"Whoa!" Rob laughed and approached Thomas who probably was clueless on the excitement he stirred.

"Goo...goo..blob" He baby talked now, happy he captured somebody's attention.

"Say my name again Thomas" Rob teased.  Thomas just giggled at him.

"He mimics...get over it" I haughtily claimed.

Rob just sighed and went over to me again.

"Somebody didn't sleep well" He said, eyeing and figuring me out.

He used to do that a lot, and as far as figuring me out goes, he's the best one of them all. 

I can't explain why I'm feeling a little snappish. He has only been back for a few days and already his falling back into that signature possessive control he used to have over me. I love it of course, but it has proved dangerous over and over again.

Shit happens and he takes control. I have always been lousy when it comes to smoothing things over, he was the expert and I was putty in his hands.

It was great for our relationship to have direction, but when he gave up, I was a goner. I drowned just like that, struggling to break through the surface of my misery.

Now he's back again, and I'm cowering. I have to hold on to whatever lifeline I have. Somehow being snappy is all I can come up with in short notice.

"I'm fine, you're being too concerned." I replied not looking him in the eye.

Judging that I already have over-mashed the squash I went to sit in front of Thomas and settled the plastic bowl and matching spoon in front of him. He just started to learn how to hold the spoon and get food in his mouth and needs little guidance.

"Now that Thomas is busy eating will you be able to eat breakfast with me now?" He asked as he took out some take-out boxes from another bag.

I was dumbfounded. Dinner last night and now breakfast.

"Wait...slow down" I said. He stopped in the middle of arranging it on the center island. "What is going on?"

"We're eating breakfast and we'll talk about the music video" He answered innocently.

I looked at it in another perspective and realized that it could be harmless and I'm just over reacting. Besides, I wasn't able to cook breakfast for myself and I was hungry from the aroma I recognized already.

"In and out burger for breakfast??" I stared at him. Trust Rob to feed us junk food if he gets to choose the meal.

"Better than nothing...and it used to be your favorite too" He smiled and set one in front of me.

We ate silently at first, and so did Thomas who was too preoccupied with his food.

We discussed the weather, the words Thomas knew already.  We parried jokes and even shared a few laughs. He asked me about new places in LA. We even shared news about my family, his family and even talked about Cole.

Cole led to Bear and Bernie, so we stopped talking.

We know where that will lead afterwards.

"Can you at least consider the music video please?" He said after we finished eating and cleaned the counter.

"Yes, I promise" I said and meaning it.

He turned to walk out of the door but turned back.

"Yeah?" I asked wondering if he forgot something.

He closed the space and my breath held.  He settled his hand on on my back pulled me closer. Surprise of all surprises, I got a kiss on the forehead.

"I'll be expecting you on the contract signing." He said with a smile and left.