Chapter 54 : New Year

December 31 2015, Los Angeles

"I'm so glad you could come Kris!" Rosanna said as she hugged me for the second time tonight.

"Okay enough enough, reserve some for next year" Nicholas said as she pulled me out of Rosanna's arms and walked me to the kitchen.

I looked at his smug look and when he glanced and saw me looking it turned to a guilty one.

"You didn't tell them did you?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Tell them what?" Nicholas asked confused.

"That we're not going out anymore!" I exclaimed.

Nicholas sighed. "I'm sorry. I just never found the time to mention it."

I was silent and I just couldn't help but look at him for a moment. We haven't really talked after the fall-out and somehow I feel a little guilty for suddenly abandoning him without reason.

He knew I got back together with Rob of course, some of our friends knew now, but I'm not really sure they knew we're already taking it to the next level.

"You know it's okay.  I'll explain it later to Rose..." I smiled sadly. Rosanna was great and she was just Nic's sister before, but now she's a good friend too.

It's the reason why I can't skip this party. I actually told Rob I was coming over. He was a little grumpy about it but he said it was okay after I told him he had nothing to worry about. I thought about it again and I can't help but question his sudden acquiescence.

"Hey...you're getting lost in your thoughts again." Nic said.

We were sitting at the balcony and sipping our wine, opting out of the noise inside. It's still a few hours till midnight, and it was better to wait for it here. I think it was a perfect time to talk about things with Nic.

I glanced at him and smiled.

"You remember back then when you helped me out through a tough time?" I asked. He nods. "I think I forgot to thank you for that."

"No need to thank me....just a friend helping out a friend" He smiled as he pat me on the back.

"No Nic...you don't understand how grateful I am. It's only now that I realized that after that thing me and Rob went through and the few months that we actually went out together and him suddenly coming back...I never..." I glanced at him wondering if he ever knew what I was getting at. "I never heard you say anything bad about him...you never even tried to spoil him in my eyes. You were just there being supportive and you never judged me for choosing to get back together with him." I finished and somehow I can't help but realize how much I love this friend of mine.

He just smiled sincerely and draw me in for a hug.

"I love you Nic, you know that right? as a friend..." I whispered. He didn't say anything but I felt him nod while we hug each other. Suddenly, I just felt the timing was right to tell him. "I'm getting married in 3 days." I whispered and felt him go still in my arms.

"You're getting married?" He asked as if he couldn't believe the first time I said it. He broke free from our hug and stared at me for a few moments. "...with Rob?"

"Who else? Silly." I laughed, playfully hitting him.

"Oh..." He sounded. I realized I shocked him but I really didn't expect him to react like this.

"Are you okay?" I asked concerned.

"Of  course, of course!" He exclaimed and draw me to a tight hug again. "I'm so happy for you" He said as he squeezed me and planting a kiss on my hair, thereafter.