Chapter 65 : Roses

October 13, 2016, Los Angeles

Clutching a fresh bouquet of roses of assorted colours in my hand, I silently opened the door of my truck to get off.

I cursed, and for a while, I went back to check how I look at the rearview mirror. I look fine, nothing special.

I looked down at the flowers in my hand again and the familiar house in front of me here at Mulholland drive.

This morning, I called my parents to tell them that I'll be home for the first time since March.

London has beckoned, maybe because L.A seemed as bleak as I feel lately. I sighed to myself and run my hands through my hair to shake off any nerves before I walk the path.

Funny how she hasn't changed her landscaping one bit, she still has the same plants she used to, and they're well taken cared of. I glanced around some more to take in her front yard. It's an irony how I notice such things now when I used to not care about them before. I would just casually stroll in from a random day from work or what to the woman who was waiting for me beyond that door.

She was home.

Now she wasn't, I wasn't. I probably might not be even welcome at the moment.

Still I have decided to go through with this. I would like to make it more final.

I was about to knock when I heard a car pull up on the same driveway. I looked up to see Nicholas getting down from his car. Great...just what I needed right now. Looking down, I noticed how obvious it was for him to figure out why I was here.

I casually slid my hand behind me, hoping he'll ignore the flowers.

"Robert..." He called as he approached me from the curb. "What..." Ah...he spotted them. "I see."

I shrugged not sure of how to react. I guess I'm not guilty of anything yet, and besides it's not as if flowers would convince Kristen to fly back into my arms. "I just wanted to...drop this off." I carefully replied as I showed him the sad bunch.

That was the truth. Although I was hoping I can get a few words in, just maybe to congratulate her.

He looked at the flowers then at me, he seems to be figuring out how much of a threat I was at the moment.

Before any words were uttered the front door sounded. Someone was unlocking it from the inside. My heart clenched in expectation. Nicholas also turned to greet who it was.

"It's about time, Nic!" someone voiced out as the door opens.

It was a woman's voice, but it wasn't her. It was Suzie. She gasped in surprise as she saw me beside Nicholas.

"Rob!"

"Hey Suz." I greeted sheepishly. We were in good terms, or maybe civil if you want it strict.

"Ehh...you brought flowers!" She smiled back, in an awkward fashion though. She then side-eyed the one beside me, apparently waiting for him to explain this bizarre front porch drama unfolding in front of her.

I heard Nic sigh then take a deep breathe before he stepped up the doorway. "Is she awake?"

Suzie eyed me first before responding. "She was waiting for you an hour ago...but she fell asleep."

"That's better I think. She hasn't slept for the entire night." He handed her a bag that he brought with him and turned to face me again. She nodded goodbye at me as she went in carrying the bag with her.

These people used to be my guests in this house. It feels so fucking weird to reverse roles.

"Do you want to come in? I have tea." Nic gestured. I almost laughed on how pleasant he suddenly was. Man, this guy is a class act.

I sighed again. I've known how this was going to go as soon as I saw him walking up the footpath.

"No, Mate. I'll just drop this off for the new Mommy." I grin awkwardly. "I'm sure she's having a great time. She always wanted to be one." I handed him the flowers and slowly back off raising a hand for goodbye, or maybe defeat who knows what's going on my mind right now. It probably was.

"I'll just tell her-"

"No! Don't! You don't have to." I stopped as I waved his idea off. "Anyway congratulations on the new tyke."

This time I smiled, and it was genuine even if it was a little reserved.

"Thanks. I guess I'll see you around?" He asked.

"Not anytime soon, I'll be flying home to Old Blighty tonight." I admitted. This was supposed to be goodbye.

Fate was cruel, it was exacting revenge by taking away this one from me.

"Are you-"

"Yeah! Bye!" I waved him off, disgusted with the sudden remorse that I was feeling.

There was no use delaying this one. She doesn't even have to be here to make this painful. I was doing it all by myself.

I continued to my truck careful to not look back at the house which used to be home for us. If I did, I doubt I'd survive the drive home, or the flight home.

***************************
I've been looking at RK throwback pics and gifs and it's making me overly sentimental. I guess that's good for this story? No.

RK just can't seem to catch a break, can they?