Chapter 63 : Beloved

October 10, 2016, Los Angeles

"You said we were going to the new place for a beer" Tom grumbled beside me on the passenger seat as I speed my way down the avenue in my rented truck.

I glanced at him and shrugged. "I changed my mind." I replied nonchalantly

I told him that I wanted to go out somewhere to drink, alone. But Tom was Tom, and as a dear friend that he said he was, he was obliged to come with me.

He probably couldn't do anything anyway if I drowned myself in alcohol. That's if, if I really did intend to do what I told him and Sienna.

"I promised my wife that I'll make sure you won't do anything to harm yourself." He said for the second time that night.

"I know." I sighed.

"Driving to Cedars Sinai at the moment is included in our list of 'Harming Yourself'" He calmly informed me.

I didn't bother responding. I was trying to ignore the hurt I felt when they both tried to keep the news secret. Lucky enough, Sienna wasn't that sly to check for visitors before bursting through her house announcing to Tom that Kristen was finally in labour.

"You really weren't supposed to find out you know." Tom reasoned.

"Really?" I asked sarcastically.

"You will find out eventually right after." He replied.

"You would think..." I grumbled.

"Why would it be important anyway?" He scolded. Tom has warned me again and again about my constant prying. I haven't actually tried to mess up their lives. Maybe I just ask about her once in a while from Sienna and some old friends. There was no harm in asking about old friends. "I still think you shouldn't bothe-"

I slammed the breaks cutting his retort and making him cling to his seat. "It's Kristen for fuck sakes! That's why it's important!!"

"Damn you Rob! Can you try to relax for a second before you go and kill the both of us?!" He scolded as he tried to compose himself.

I took a deep breath and eased the car to the nearest curb as the traffic honked impatiently behind us. I turned off the engine, closed my eyes as I run my hands through my hair.

Tom was quiet. I know I owe him an apology, but not right now. He'll just try to change my mind about our current destination and I have to argue my way out of it.

"I know it sounds stupid already. It's been months and everyone has moved on. It's..." I glanced at him to check if he was listening, but also to find the right words on what I'm feeling at the moment. "I...I don't know...Maybe, I just want to see her and talk to her..."

He shook his head. "I don't think this is the right time to talk to her."

I eyed him questioningly.

"Women in labour...she'll probably bite your head off."

"I know." I replied in agreement.

"So, what now?" He asked.

"I still want to go. I want to see her. I want to try at least...just to know she's okay." I replied to him the same words I've been telling myself the whole day.

********************************

"Okay Kristen. You're doing a great job! Take a deep breath then give me another good push." The doctor's voice echoed around the private suite. I can hear it but I'm blanking out every now and then from the pain. It has been officially 18 hours since I started to contract.