Chapter 37 : Turmoil

November 2015, Los Angeles

"What time will you be ready?" Nic asked over the phone.

There's this party again that we were invited to and I did promise the other day to go with him. Although if I was being honest I didn't really feel like going out, knowing the party was of a common friend of Rob and I.

That last party at Malibu was a disaster.  After he walked out I stood there on the beach like a dazed fool not knowing how I should react to his nonchalance.

I steeled myself and looked for Nicholas, he knew something was wrong.  He figured it out even before I had to say it.  Thankfully he understood my need to get away, so we awkwardly excused ourselves from our host saying we had an errand to run and had to leave her party early.

After that day I tried my best to be a little more accommodating to Nic, unfortunately I was fooling myself if I keep pretending that I wasn't that affected knowing Rob was near and probably dating someone else.

"I understand if you don't want to come with me. Will it be alright if I go alone?" He asked after my long silence.

I sighed.

"Pick me up at 7" I said, decided that it's best to get it over with.

Anyway, if Rob really was dating another woman I had to see her for myself. And besides, what are the chances we'll meet at the same party again?

If he was, it's a good thing that Nicholas will be there. That ought to even the game.

***

"Kristen! You didn't tell me you were coming!" Lindsey exclaimed as she saw me when we arrived.

"Last minute change of plans" I said as I gave her a tight hug. "I haven't seen you for a long time, Linds" I smiled.

"Yes! I know! That's why I'm so glad you're here too! Honestly I only crashed this party. I'm actually way too early for a crasher and Dylan can't make me leave." She laughed.

"Hey Lindsey." Nic greeted her with a friendly peck.

"Hello handsome!" She playfully batted her long eyelashes at him. "Wanna make out with me later?"

I shake my head laughing while Nic colored a little.

"Naaah....I already planned to do that with somebody else tonight." He jokingly replied.

Lindsey raised her eyebrows at me with a knowing smile.

"How come you get all the handsome brit boys in town falling at your feet?" She asked.

I shrugged. It eludes me also.

"Shouldn't we go inside now?" I asked.

"Sure, but before that, you should know that the other brit boy is also here."

I knew it.

***

I was casually drinking my beer at one of the corner tables talking to some friends of mine when I hear her name being bandied about.

She was here. I wasn't sure at first if she was coming, but I knew that there was a chance that I'd see her here tonight again. 

I carefully listened to the other conversation and found out that she came in with Nicholas. I did expect that. It was a funny feeling knowing she came in with another man when before, she used to do these parties with me, only me.

"Nic! Over here!" The guy I was speaking to called Nicholas over to our table.

Luckily he came alone, Kristen was probably dragged somewhere else by her friends.