Chapter Twenty Three

The last day of school was one of Asena's favorite days of school

The last day of school was one of Asena's favorite days of school. She was able to wear whatever she wanted, she didn't have to learn, and she only had to show up to class long enough to turn in her books, before she was able to leave class and hangout wherever she wanted inside of the school or on school property. Having Paul around made the day better, meaning she had someone to hang out with that wasn't spreading rumors or talking crap about people the entire time.

There was exactly one week until Asena's sixteenth birthday. She wasn't expecting a big birthday party or celebration, but she had a feeling Sam, Emily, and the pack were going to try there best to make her sweet sixteen the most memorable birthday of her life, so far.

Carolyn had avoided Asena like Jacob had told her to do. She would still watch Asena from afar, watching as the girl seemed to live her life as if Carolyn had never been a part of it. Asena hadn't forgotten about her friend, but Carolyn didn't know that. Carolyn believed she meant nothing to Asena, that their friendship was pointless, but she still loved and missed her best friend, even after everything they went through.

Carolyn looked down in her empty bookbag, staring at the wrapped gift that was in the bottom. She had bought Asena a birthday gift, but it had been purchased only a couple of days before their falling out. Carolyn had already wrapped the gift, so she wasn't going to unwrap it and take it back to the store. Besides, she had already threw away the receipt, so there really wasn't a way for her to bring it back for her money. Sighing, the girl took the gift from her bag and held it in her hands.

Asena and Paul were sat together on a picnic table outside of the school. Asena was laughing, while Paul told her cheesy pick up lines or one liners he had heard or read. Paul told her another bad pickup line, causing her to gasp and shove the boy by his shoulder, as she began to laugh and Paul joined. Paul quickly sobered up though, when he seen Carolyn walking towards them. He looked over at Asena, motioning with his head to tell her to look over. Asena turned her head and her laughter died instantly as well, knowing something good wasn't going to come out of this.

"Yes?" Asena asked, her voice monotone.

Carolyn didn't say anything to the girl, she just handed the gift to the girl. Asena looked down at the gift, her eyebrows furrowed with confusion. She didn't know why Carolyn had given her a gift, especially after the way she had been treating the girl. Asena didn't want to treat the girl so bad, but that was the only way Carolyn would leave her alone without too many questions. She already asked so many questions, but this way she couldn't find out the truth and possibly get hurt.

"I bought this before...everything. I-I didn't want to take it back, so..." Carolyn trailed off, rubbing her arm nervously.

"Carolyn, I can't accept this--" Asena began, but Carolyn cut her off.

"Please," Carolyn began, looking up at the girl with sad eyes,"I know you'll love the gift, and I really want you to keep it." She said, making Asena sigh.

Slowly, Asena pulled the wrapping paper off of the box, before opening the plae blue box. Inside of the box was a beautiful crescent moon necklace, with a wolf inside of the moon. The charm was silver, and according to the sticker inside of the box, it was sterling silver, meaning the necklace definitely cost a pretty penny and the necklace was real.

 "Thank you, Carolyn

"Thank you, Carolyn. It's beautiful. I love it." Asena said, giving Carolyn a genuine smile for the first time in weeks.

"You're welcome, Asena. I'm glad you like it." Carolyn replied, and turned to walk away, when Asena stood up and stiffly hugged the girl.

Carolyn was shocked, but she quickly wrapped her arms around the girl. She had missed the hugs she would often recieve from Asena, and she knew this was probably the last one she'd ever recieve. When Asena pulled away, she gave Carolyn an awkward nod, before grabbing Paul's hand and walking away. Carolyn felt sad that Asena had once again walked away, but she didn't expect the girl to stay no matter how bad she wanted her to stay and make up with her.

"Don't tell Dad about the hug." Asena said, and Paul nodded.

"Are you going to tell him about the necklace?" Paul asked, causing the girl to nod as well.

"He'd inevitably find out about the necklace, so I might as well tell him the truth." Asena replied, making the boy nod once again.

When school ended, Asena and Paul went straight to the pack house. Sam and Emily had been sitting in the kitchen with the twins when the duo walked in. Asena placed the necklace on the table and explained everything to Sam--other than the hug--so he wasn't too upset about the necklace. He was a little, but not that much. After explaining everything to Sam and Emily, Asena went upstairs and took a shower. Paul took a shower right after her, before the two went back downstairs to take care of the twins.

"Do you know what you want for you birthday?" Emily asked, causing Asena to shake her head.

"No, I can't think of anything. Honestly, whatever you guys choose to get me, I'll appreciate." She replied, making Emily smile.

"Would you like books, CDs, movies, tickets to something?" Emily listed, trying to think of anything she could buy Asena.

"I want to be surprised." Asena said, and Emily smiled.

Emily and Paul shared a look, knowing they would discuss everything they believed Asena would want for her birthday. Asena wanted a surprise and she was actually going to get what she wanted...

×××××××××××××××××

A/N: I hope you guys liked this chapter. So, did you guys have amazing 16th birthdays? I didn't have a birthday party or anything, but I did get a blanket.

Love you guys!

Vote
Comment
Share&
Follow!

- Youngblood Xxx