twenty

Heaven paced back and forth in the public restroom feeling slightly nausea as the time passed her by. She didn't know if it was her nerves or if she was really sick. It was the official adoption day.

"Baby you're going to be fine." Jayda said, watching Heaven pace back and forth. Jayda wouldn't dare miss the most important day in Heaven and Daloni's life. She also knew that Heaven needed some support.

"What if the judge hates me? What if I freeze up?" Heaven asked, as tears filled her eyes. This was the most important day in her life and she just hoped that everything ran smoothly.

"I think you're overthinking Heav. Take a couple breaths and just think about the positive. We didn't decorate his room for nothing. He's coming home with you." Jayda reassured her, holding Heaven's face.

"You have good support out there. Just be yourself and don't worry about the what if's." Jayda said, wiping the tear that fell from Heaven's right eye.

"I got this." Heaven nodded, trying to convince herself. She got a paper towel and dabbed at her eyes careful not to mess up her lashes.

Heaven wore a cream-colored pant suit that fitted her greatly. Her natural coily hair was on display showcasing her curls. On her feet were her red-bottoms and a small anklet that had Daloni's name on it. She smelled of Vanilla and Shea Butter and everytime you walked by you could smell her fragrance.

~

"All rise for the honorable Judge Timothy Brown." The bailiff called out from his corner. Timothy Brown was the best judge when it came down to family matters.

Everyone in the small courtroom stood as the African American man came in with a serious and stern look on his face. His black gown stopped at his feet and his glasses were on the tip of his nose.

"You may be seated."

Everyone in the crowd took their seats including Zylin, Jayda, Cane, Ms. Charlotte, and Kenzie. They were all there in support for Heaven and Daloni.

Judge Brown first started going through Daloni's file just to get caught up on his back story. He looked at all of his hospital files and cancer treatments. "Heaven Bridges?"

"Yes sir." Heaven nodded.

"Are we here for the adoption of Daloni Evans?" Judge Brown asked, pushing his glasses up on his nose.

"Yes sir." Heaven nodded.

"And where is Daloni right now?"

A TV screen came from behind a wall showing Daloni live smashing his trucks together. They had virtual zoomed so that Daloni could be present the whole time.

The judge watched as Heaven's face lit up as soon as she saw Daloni.

"Who's on his case?" The judge asked.

"I am your honor." Ms. Walker stood up.

"You will be aiding in the final decision of the adoption. I would like to hear from Ms. Bridges and her lawyer first to state why she should have full custody of Daloni." Judge Brown stated.

Heaven's lawyer stood opening his folder. "Your honor my client Heaven Bridges is requesting full custody of Daloni. The pair has known each other for quite some time being that he was taken to the hospital for an underlying health issue. Your honor Daloni has been a child of the state since a baby. He's only been in a couple of foster homes where they returned him because of his health issues."

"Heaven has been on the side of Daloni every since he fell ill. She's taken great lengths by paying for all of his cancer treatments and throwing him his fifth birthday party. The love that my client has for Daloni is unexplainable. She's ready to take full responsibility and officially have Daloni as her son." Heaven's lawyer said.