~ 017

"I'm here to get Nevaeh Brown." Solana told the receptionist, hoisting Solai up on her hip. She had gotten permission from Heaven to check Nevaeh out of school early to take her on a little date.

"Can I see your ID?"

Solana nodded, handing over her identification. Once the receptionist checked Nevaeh's pick-up list and matched Solana's name on it, she handed it back over.

"Alright, just sign the checkout book and I'll notify her teacher to send her down."

"Thank you." Solana replied, signing the logout book. She was slightly nervous to see Nevaeh's reaction, but she hoped that it wasn't bad like her recent ones to seeing her.

A couple minutes later Nevaeh entered the front office with her things. She looked at Solana and Solai and frowned. "What you doing here?" She asked. Usually Heaven would tell the kids when they were getting out of school early, so she was caught off guard.

"I was thinking we could go grab some food and just have some fun." Solana replied, nervously.

"Oh." Nevaeh simply responded. She left out of the office leaving Solana and Solai behind. After exiting the building, she looked for Solana's car and waited by it, pulling out her phone to text her mom.

Solana sighed, unlocking the doors buckling Solai into her car seat. She could already feel Nevaeh's energy, and it was making her sad all over again. She just wanted everybody to be happy.

"Anywhere in particular you want to eat at?" She asked, finally getting in the driver's seat starting the car.

"It doesn't matter." Nevaeh shrugged, staring out the window.

"What about the restaurant we first went to when I came to stay with you guys?" Solana smiled, thinking of the memory and how pure it was. She remembered it vividly because of how Nevaeh acted with the waiter about her and Heaven's to-go orders.

"Sure." Nevaeh shrugged again.

Solana nodded, driving in the restaurant's direction. The car ride was filled with an awkward silence, and it was making her feel out of place. She would occasionally look over at Nevaeh, and could see how annoyed she was.

Once they arrived at the restaurant and was seated, Nevaeh took out her airpods and connected them in her ear. She blasted her music, so that she didn't have to engage with Solana or Solai.

Solana chewed on her bottom lip, taking out her phone going to her and Heaven's message thread.

MyMama 🫶🏾💓

Ma, I don't know what else to do. I think I'm just gone bring her back to the house with you guys because it's like she hates being in my presence. I don't want to seem like a snitch, but ma she's really hurting my feelings. We'll be there soon..I love you

Wow, I'm sorry baby. Bring her back here and we'll all sit down and talk. I love you more!

"Hello I'll be your waiter for today, can I get you guys started off with any drinks or appetizers?"

"Hey, I'll just take a sweet tea. Do you guys have like apple juice or any kid's drinks?" Solana replied. 

"We have apple juice, milk, and a virgin shirley temple."

"I'll just get a apple juice for her and she'll take the strawberry lemonade. We're also ready to order our main entrée." Solana nodded, trying to get everything over as quick as she could.

Nevaeh took one of her airpods out, giving her attention to the waiter.  "I just want to get the chicken parmesan with mashed potatoes and the house salad." She stated.