~ 016

vote and comment!!!

"Are you guys ready to view our diagnosis." The pediatric speech pathologist asked, entering the private conference room with a child's psychologist behind. Heaven and Zylin had did all of their research and found the best pediatric speech pathologist in Houston for Zuri.

"As ready as we'll ever be." Heaven nodded. She was exhausted, and she could barely keep her eyes open. However, she needed to get to the root of Zuri's clinginess.

"Should we wake her up?" Zylin asked, holding Zuri in his arms. As much as he tried not to baby Zuri, he couldn't help it. He loved how Zuri wanted to stay a kid, rather than growing up so fast.

"Yes sir, it'll be vital that she's aware of her diagnosis. We also want to ask her just a few more questions." Dr. Patios, the speech pathologist, nodded.

"Wake up ma ma." Zylin whispered in Zuri's ear, rubbing her back softly. "Just watch who she about to ask for." He said, seeing Zuri's eyes slowly flutter open.

"I want mommy." Zuri immediately mumbled, fully opening her eyes. She lifted her head, and stood to her feet going to sit in Heaven's lap.

"So my colleague and I have agreed that Zuri has selective mustism, and also suffers from severe separation anxiety. Now I'm sure you guys could've already figured out that she has a hard time with separation." Dr. Patios started.

"Have you guys ever heard of selective mustism?" She asked, making sure to take down notes as she speak.

"I have." Heaven nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"I ain't never heard of nothing like that." Zylin shook his head. His heart started beating faster than usual, thinking the worst.

"Well selective mustism is an anxiety disorder that affects children when they go out into public spaces. You guys mentioned that when you're out in public Zuri basically goes mute, but when she's at home or with family she speaks more freely." Dr. Patios explained.

"It's a rare disorder in kids, but mostly found in females. Typically we start to see signs of the mustism when children are in toddler stages, but we usually don't have a set diagnosis until they enter school."

"This means she could be prone to social anxiety as well or are they similar?" Heaven asked.

"Yes ma'am. Most people do compare the two." The speech pathologist nodded. "Dad I see the look on your face, feel free to ask as many questions if need be." She added, looking at the uneasy look on Zylin's face.

He cleared his throat, trying to gather his words. "L-Like could we have caused this? How did this happen? I don't understand none of this. She hasn't experienced any trauma. She's so loved. I don't understand." He went on, trying to keep his emotions at bay.

"Oh no sir. Most cases of selective mustism are unlinked to trauma. I can assure you that it's not you guys fault. Selective mustism is just generally understood to be a severe anxiety disorder related to shyness." Dr. Patios replied, reassuring Zylin and Heaven.

"Zuri do you understand what we're saying sweetie?" The pediatric psychologist asked, noticing that Zuri kept trying to bury her head further into her mother's neck.

Getting no answer, both of the professionals nodded their head. "Now mom or dad, ask her the same question." Dr. Patios suggested.

"Mama they're basically just saying that you're really shy and have a hard time being away from us. You understand me?" Heaven asked softly, lifting Zuri's head.

"Yes mommy." Zuri spoke in a very inaudible tone. The only person who could really hear her response was Heaven.

"See she's not comfortable talking in public spaces or to unfamiliar people. Even though she's comfortable responding to you, we can still determine that's she very uncomfortable because we could barely hear her response." The pediatric psychologist spoke.