~ 011

excuse mistakes
six days days later...

Solana chewed on her bottom lip consistently, butterflies swarming through her whole body. Today was the day that would dictate if Solai would be able to attend her birthday party. The doctor was about to weigh Solai to see if she gained any weight.

Solai whined, climbing into Solana's lap to finish her nap. It was the middle of the day, and the nurse had just came to wake her up for the weighing.

"You're nervous, huh?" Ms. Georgia chuckled, seeing the worried look plastered all over Solana's face.

"Yes. I packed her a bag of clothes in hopes that she would be discharged later on today." Solana pouted. "She's been eating all of the food that I've been bringing her plus more, she should've gained something, right?"

"Fingers crossed." Ms. Georgia nodded.

A knock appeared on the door, making Solai's grip tighten around Solana's neck. The doctor smiled, entering the room with a nurse and Solai's chart. "Who's ready to be weighed?"

"God please let these scale numbers be in our favor." Solana mumbled, holding her head to the sky. She had been praying every chance she got to let things work out in her and Solai's favor, so she just hoped that today was the day for good news.

"So we'll take her weight and if she's gained at least five pounds then she can be discharged. However, I will need her to see her every week for a weight update." The doctor nodded. "So, let's get her on the scale."

Solana nodded, standing to her feet. She slowly trudged over to the scale and height equipment that was located in the corner of the room. "Alright baby. I'm about to put you down." Solana whispered into Solai's ear.

Solai shook her head, tightening her legs around Solana's torso. Solana crouched down to the floor, so that Solai was now standing in front of her. "Mr. Bear told me to tell you a secret." Solana said, pointing back at the human-sized bear.

"Look at me." Solana smiled, showing her how the weighing process would go. She stepped on the scale, and stood still until the numbers popped up on the screen. "See, Mr. Bear said do this like me."

All of the adults in the room just watched how Solana interacted with Solai. It was such a warm moment everytime Solana could get Solai to do something. "She's amazing, isn't she?" Ms. Georgia, whispered to the doctor.

Solai pointed to the scale, holding her hand out for Solana to grab. Solana happily did so, helping her onto the scale. Solai could walk, but she wasn't used to it. She was used to being held by Solana or stationed in one spot when she lived with her parents. When she did walk, she walked on her tippy toes, another small concern for the doctor.

"Okay, let's get that weight." The doctor smiled, once Solai was still. Solana swallowed the lump in her throat, hesistant to look up at the screen for the results.

Once the numbers did pop up on the screen, everyone just stayed silent waiting for Solana to take a look herself. When she noticed the silence, she bit down on her lip and looked at the numbers. Her eyes almost popped out of her head, as a huge smile grazed her face. "She gained seven pounds."

"Looks like you're taking your baby girl home." The doctor smiled, writing down Solai's updated weight. She wasn't sure if it was the hearty meals that Solana made, or if Solai's weight just magically increased. However, he was happy for Solai and Solana.

Solana scooped Solai up in her arms, hugging her, as tears slid down her face. "I'm so proud of you. I knew you could do it." She sniffled.

"I'll let my nurse check all of her vitals, including her temperature to make sure she's all cleared. When everything checks out, we'll start her discharge." The doctor told Ms. Georgia. Gaining a nod from the social worker, he left the little family to indulge in their excitement.