37 | bad influence

╔──────────────────────╗

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN :
BAD INFLUENCE

╚──────────────────────╝

STAR

Star was sitting down at Empire, watching all of the employees walk around nonchalantly. They were nonchalant because it was a regular work day for them, but not for those of them who actually knew Cassie.

Star couldn't even think straight so she didn't know why she was there. She wouldn't be able to come up with any lyrics right now. But she didn't wanna stay at Carlotta's place because the atmosphere there was dreadful. And if she stayed there, she'd probably be bawling her eyes out and she really wasn't in the mood for that.

"Yo Star!" Noah called, causing her to let out an annoyed breath because here we go. She really wasn't in the mood to argue with his ass today.

She told him that too. "I'm not in the mood for you right now, Noah. I'm going through a lot."

"What happened?"

"Cassie died."

Shock crossed Noah's face. "Ms. Carlotta's sister?!"

"Yeah. She was murdered in cold blood in front of her own house."

"The fuck? Who did it?!"

"No one knows and I'm scared they never will."

"No, don't be pessimistic. Cassie's going to get her justice, believe that," Noah promised. "But I need to talk to you."

"I'd rather you not because an argument is going to start."

"No, I think you're actually gonna like what I have to say. It's about Davis."

She got defensive now. "What about my son?"

"OUR son," Noah corrected. "And I know I haven't been the best dad to him, but I wanna change that. I wanna be more invested in his life."

And maybe Noah's being serious right now. Star had no idea. She was just curious. "Why now?"

"Because a five-year-old named Bella basically called me a shitty dad and that really opened my eyes."

She had to snicker at that. "Damn. Hakeem's right. Bella is changing."

"Yeah. She smacked me and everything. Well deserved though." Noah chuckled a little bit before saying, "So what do you say? Can I prove that I can be father of the year?"

Star smiled a little. "Yes you can, Noah. And you finally wanting to step up to the plate made my day a little better, so thanks."

"No problem baby-"