09 | they're in

╔──────────────────────╗

CHAPTER NINE :
THEY'RE IN

╚──────────────────────╝

NEXT DAY

Star, Simone, and Cotton were chatting in Star's room. That was cut short when they heard Jahil's booming voice. "Can everyone please come downstairs?!"

"For what, Jahil?!" yelled Carlotta from her room.

"It's important, Lottie!"

Carlotta's footsteps could be heard thudding down the stairs. Star, Simone, and Cotton remained still. Star asked Simone and Cotton if they should go, but Simone objected, stating that if they didn't, Jahil might forget about them.

That did not happen. Jahil knew them like the back of his hand. He knew they'd jump for Carlotta but not for him, so he used a commanding tone to show them that it wasn't a request. It was a demand. "Star and company, come down here!"

Star sucked her teeth, not wanting to get up and listen to what that man had to say. How important could it be? However, Cotton knew her father wouldn't stop bugging them until they went downstairs, so she grabbed Star's arm and pulled her out of bed. Star reluctantly followed her downstairs, Simone close behind. When they arrived, Ray J, Ms. Carlotta, and Tiana were already there. Star still despised Tiana, but she wouldn't start shit unless Tiana did.

Tiana didn't seem like she'd start a fight; her mouth was closed, just the way Star wanted it. However, her gaze was fixed on Star, and she was staring a little too intensely. Wait, no. She wasn't looking at Star. She was looking at the chain she was wearing, which is Hakeem's chain. Tiana didn't seem happy either; the look in her eyes said it all. It was most likely because Hakeem never gave her one of his chains to wear.

Star's demeanor was smug as petty thoughts ran through her mind. She was mostly thinking, Oh well, Tiana. He loves me more.

Tiana took another look at the chain before turning her attention back to Jahil. "What's going on, Uncle J?"

Star paid close attention to Jahil's announcement. This better be good. "I already told Carlotta this, but Hunter and Angel are coming to visit."

Oh hell no. That was not a good thing. That was fucking horrible. "Hold up..." Star said as she took a step towards him. She had no issues with Angel, but Hunter Morgan was a different story. He was a pain in the ass, so she hoped he was referring to someone else. "Hunter, as in your son?"

She was right. "Yes. His birthday is on Saturday, and he wants to celebrate with the whole family."

"Tell him to forget about it because no one wants his ass here." Star didn't care how cold that was. Hunter was the last person she wanted to see, hear, or smell. Jahil tried to defend his son, but her stance was unwavering. "No. I'm serious, Jahil. He's a pain in the ass."