50 | worked up

╔──────────────────────╗

CHAPTER FIFTY :
WORKED UP

╚──────────────────────╝

COTTON

NEXT DAY

Cotton was sitting at the kitchen counter, scrolling down her twitter feed. Jahil came downstairs to talk to her. "Aye Cott. I wanted to tell you that Cassie's funeral is this weekend."

"Yeah I know. I just hate that mom won't be there."

"I think that's for the best. She wouldn't be able to handle seeing her sister in a casket. Trust me."

Cotton knew that was true. She couldn't handle it either because Cassie shouldn't even be in a casket! But she was thanks to that fucking devil. And the fact that he got away with it is so messed up, but it's all good. Cotton knew the truth.

Cotton looked up at her father. "Did Ma tell you where she went?"

Jahil shook his head. "Nope. She's staying tight lipped about it. We still don't know when she's coming back or if she ever will."

Cotton didn't like those words. "Don't say that. Ma wouldn't abandon her family like her other no good sister." Tiana's mother.

Jahil rolled his eyes at the thought of that woman. "I never cared about Tiana's mother any damn way. Anyway, wassup with you? How are you and your man doing?"

"We're great," Cotton answered kindly. Honestly, she still wasn't on good terms with her father, but she was mature enough to have a conversation with him. He said he wanted to prove that he was a changed man, so she was gonna let him.

Jahil doubted her statement. "Oh really? Is that why I never see him over here?"

Cotton tilted her head. "We just started dating, Jahil. He doesn't have to be over here this soon."

The fact that she called him 'Jahil' and not 'dad' wasn't sitting right with him. "You know, we should really stop with the first name basis. We should be calling each other father and daughter."

"You gotta earn that title." Cotton glanced over at him and he huffed. She chuckled and focused back on her phone. She kept scrolling down her feed and saw that Jamal tweeted something earlier. He sounded hurt and angry. Probably because of Maurice. Jamal was pressed. And how was she seeing his tweets? Because she still followed him.

Cotton unfollowed Jamal on Instagram because she got tired of seeing his face, but she never unfollowed him on twitter. She guessed it was because he wasn't active on there, so his presence didn't bother her. But he sure was active today.