03 | church

╔──────────────────────╗

CHAPTER THREE :
CHURCH

╚──────────────────────╝

NEXT DAY

It was Sunday again, so instead of going to real church, Andre headed to the Church of Satan with a chocolate cake in his hands. Today was a special day because it was one of the cult members' birthday, and birthdays were taken very seriously in the cult. They treated it as if it were a holiday.

When Andre entered the church, the cult was there, laughing. The birthday woman's name was Mya, so he walked down the aisle while exclaiming, "Happy birthday, Mya!"

All eyes were drawn to him. "Andre!" Mya slapped her hand over her mouth as her eyes glistened at the sight of the chocolate cake in his hands. "Is that cake for me?"

"It is."

"Aw!" She took the cake from him and hugged him tightly with her free arm. She sincerely thanked him. "Thank you so much! I've never had cake on my birthday."

Andre broke away from her, his brows knitted together in puzzlement. That was shocking information. "Never?"

She shook her head as she concentrated on the dessert in her hands. "Nope. I've never really celebrated my birthday before. I used to dread this day, but you guys changed that." She looked around at the cult as a smile broke through her lips. "Thank you."

Andre returned her smile. "No problem. How old are you today?"

"25."

"Alright then! Congratulations on your 25th birthday!" He exclaimed, which elicited cheers and applause from the cult. When one of the men urged Mya to eat the cake, she hesitated and pointed to herself. "By myself?"

"We'll share it with you if you want, but you deserve the first slice," he told her.

Mya was cool with that. She went to get a paper plate while Andre sliced the cake for her. He placed a big piece on her plate, and she dug in. She bobbed her head as she chewed, letting them know she was enjoying it, but her expression slid into a frown, which alarmed Andre.

"What's wrong? You don't like it?" Andre began to panic internally. Maybe he shouldn't have gotten chocolate.

Mya's hazel eyes were fixed on her plate as she spoke solemnly. "No, I do. I just wish El Diablo was here. He'd make this day more special."

"My father is a busy man, but I can try to convince him to come." He noticed her face brightened when he told her that. He wasn't going back on his word either. It was her birthday, and if she wanted Lucious to be there, he had to come. So Andre took out his phone and texted his father. He told him about the birthday celebration, and Lucious said he'd be there soon. "He's coming soon."