07 | bad news

╔──────────────────────╗

CHAPTER SEVEN :
BAD NEWS

╚──────────────────────╝

NEXT DAY

Despite living in the same house, Jahil and Carlotta haven't encountered each other. Carlotta was avoiding him, and he didn't like that. He had already resolved his differences with his daughter Cotton, so he needed to do the same with Carlotta. She has no reason to despise him because he gave up the drug life. He'd left his old self behind in Atlanta, and he wasn't coming back.

He was on his way to Carlotta's room, knowing it was her favorite place in the house, when his phone started ringing. He slid it out of his pocket with furrowed eyebrows because he had no idea who would be calling. When he looked at the screen, he saw the contact name of his 23-year-old son Hunter, which made him grin.

Hunter wasn't his biological son. He took him as his own because his mother didn't want him, and his father was incarcerated. Hunter resides in Atlanta, but the family has already met him once. He had introduced Hunter to them when he first took him in, and it didn't go too well...

Fearing the phone was about to go to voicemail, Jahil immediately answered before Hunter began acting out. That boy hated being ignored. "Hunter! What's up?"

Hunter's recognizable voice came through the phone. "Aye, Pop. Do you remember what this weekend is?"

"Of course I do! It's your birthday!"

"Right. So Angel and I are thinking of flying to New York City to turn up with you and the fam!" Hunter informed him. Angel Rivera was Jahil's 21-year-old nephew. Unlike Hunter, he's adored by everyone.

"You know I want you here, but everyone else doesn't like you," Jahil warned. "Not after what happened last time..."

Hunter started complaining, as he often did when things didn't go his way. "Come on, dad. It's going to be my special day. I deserve to be there."

Jahil nodded in agreement. "Yes you do." Hunter was family, and family should celebrate together. Therefore he'll allow the visit. "Alright. I'll let everyone know."

"Woo!" Hunter exclaimed, clapping loudly. "Okay, bet!" He began shouting at someone. "Aye, Angel! We're going to NYC!" He then hung up the phone, and Jahil went to Carlotta's room because they absolutely needed to talk now. She detested Hunter more than anyone, so he already knew she wouldn't be happy to hear the news, but he hoped she'd understand his reason. He wanted to see his son.

When he entered Carlotta's room, he stood in the doorway and watched her adjust her wig in the mirror. He shook his head as his eyes darted between the several wigs she had lying about. She was obsessed with wigs, something he never understood. "How many wigs do you own?"