04 | up to no good

╔──────────────────────╗

CHAPTER FOUR :
UP TO NO GOOD

╚──────────────────────╝

The Uber stopped moving. Carlotta opened the car door and planted one foot on the ground before quickly adding the other. She got out of the car and shut the door while smoothing out her curly red wig with her hand. As she concentrated on the property in front of her her home a breath of relief escaped her lips.

She had gone on a three-week vacation and was now back in New York City. She truly didn't want to return, but she couldn't leave her family behind like her wicked sister Tiana's mother did. On top of that, there had been a lot of wild things going on while she was away, and she needed to protect her family. She'd be damned if she had to bury someone else.

After taking a deep breath to prepare herself for the shock of seeing her family again, she grasped her keys and moved towards the front door. She opened it and entered her house. As soon as she did, confetti latched itself to her wig and flew through the air. She jumped as her loved ones blew party horns and shouted, "Welcome home!"

As she watched the confetti litter her floor, Carlotta let out a laugh to express her amazement and shock. "I know y'all didn't do all this for me." She was genuinely impressed and felt incredibly special.

"Hell yeah we did! We've been waiting for you to return for ages!" Star exclaimed, racing to embrace her second mother. Carlotta tightened her hold around the blonde's smaller frame. She missed Star's craziness.

When they distanced themselves from one another, Simone approached her hesitantly. When she spoke to her, Carlotta felt a tiny pang of annoyance. "Hey, Ms. Carlotta. I'm not sure if you'd like a hug from me, but..."

Yeah, their relationship was very strained at the moment. If they hugged, it wouldn't be as heartfelt as her hug with Star since they weren't on good terms before she left. Simone caused that. She was acting out and breaking her rules by going to the club with Royalty, despite her objections. Hopefully she was wiser now.

Regardless, Simone was still like a daughter to Carlotta, so she brought her in for a hug. And speaking of daughters, her biological daughter was looking at her with happy tears in her eyes. Cotton squealed with delight before hugging her as well. "I missed you, Ma!"

"Yeah. You miss a lot of things, don't you?" Star stated angrily. Carlotta furrowed her brows and moved her gaze between them, wondering what was going on. That sounded like shade. Cotton wasn't digging it either.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know what I'm talking about!" Star spat venomously, her tone of voice making everyone flinch. Star left Cotton's presence and headed upstairs before a fight broke out between them. Her outburst left everyone with confusion coursing through them, Carlotta feeling the most confused. What did she miss?