Six.

⚠️TW-abuse/violence

⚠️TW-abuse/violence

My father told me of the Capello's and Nicolas and all the crap about me not leaving. I wasn't afraid. Neither was my dad but his judgment was always clouded when it came to me.

He never worried about my safety but occasionally when he isn't here I do worry someone will just burst in and shoot me. Lo and papa have been in meetings all day.

My mother came downstairs.

"Katerina, what are you making?" she asked. My heart fluttered. This was the most amount of words she said to me since I've gotten home. It's been 5 days now.

"carbonara. Going to get started on some pasta too. Can you help?" I asked her. I prayed to every God there was that she'd say yes. And one of them answered.

She nodded but never spoke.

"mama, how were you doing while I was away?" I asked her and she took a while before responding. I sipped on my 3rd glass of wine. Or maybe 4th. I lost count.

"I was tired Katerina. I still am." she spoke back. I'll never know what went wrong with my mother. But I know it wasn't my father's fault.

"mama, please tell us what we can do. Do you need to speak to someone again?" I asked her. She had therapy for 3 years and all they told us was that she was severely depressed.

"no." she said. And I felt the air thicken and the wall that was down for 5 minutes go back up. I wasn't going to try any further because in the end, I'd be hurting myself.

After an hour of pasta making, baking and carbonara cooking I heard my father and Lo walk in.

"ay bella I missed coming home to this. What's the occasion?" my father asked. He walked into the kitchen and my mother was seated at the island. I watched him walk over to her. His eyes were fixed on her and he walked behind her and shut his eyes tightly. He pressed a kiss onto her head and sighed. Then walked over to me. I saw pain on his face, and my father showed no pain. Ever.

"no occasion, just felt like cooking." I said to him and he smiled and kissed my head. "hm, smells great." he said and lifted the pot lid.

"so what's the verdict? Are my days numbered?" I asked them and heard Lo chuckle. "you're not funny bella. And no, Kingston took care of the Capello's. They don't even know your name." he said.

My heart stopped. My pulse quickened. It had been 2 days since our conversation in the kitchen. I wondered if he was angry with me. But I didn't care. I had every right to be worried about his business with my father.

"that's good. Anyway thank him for me. I need to head to the store." I said to my dad. His eyebrow almost disappeared into his head.

"Katerina you were threatened. You're not going anywhere." he said. I sighed. "well I think Kingston did a good job and besides I need to shop for feminine things. I'll take a guard with me, I promise." I said to him and smiled pleadingly.