Twenty-four

After bringing Alyssa home, I had no energy to discuss this situation with her

After bringing Alyssa home, I had no energy to discuss this situation with her. She cried and cried in the car and I was so filled with rage I had nothing to say to her.

My mind rushed off to so many things. I thought of Hayes and what he would ask of me now, I thought of Aly and how she would have to marry this dumb fuck. He was a child but I would have to give him a chance.

I thought of Katerina and how she stepped in front of a fucking gun so I wouldn't kill that idiot. God, she was going to drive me insane. And now I thought of something I had pushed aside the entire night.

Now, we weren't going to be family. In any regard. I don't know what Hayes would want from me, but I know that she was no longer off limits. I could have her. But I have a feeling with the reputation Aly has earned for me now, Hayes wouldn't want my Kingston hands all over his precious daughter.

I don't give a fuck about that.

But a part of myself has been dead for years now. And even though I love her, I wouldn't be able to give her everything. I could never tell her what happened to my mother. Or how my father was a fraud who beat the shit out of me. There's parts of myself that could never be fixed.

It was now about 3am, I struggled to open the door with my stitched and bandaged hand.

Chessler was there, waiting for me. Jaxon walked in and sort of threw Brendan on the floor. He was unconscious and his face was bust up pretty badly.

"ah, Mr Rossi. I see he's had a run in with your fists." Chessler said and shook my hand.

"you alright there sir?" he asked and looked at the bandage.

"im fine, fix this one."I said and nodded my head to Brendan.

"yes sir, also, I'm out of town from tomorrow. My daughter is getting married. Dr. Warner, my friend will be available." he said and I nodded.

"thank you doc"

I walked in and just lay on my bed. I don't normally do this, sleeping has always been a chore for me- something I have to do to stay alive and sane, but right now my body is so physically exhausted all I want to do is lay down and be a pile of bones and flesh. I can't think. I can't believe my arrangement, all my hard work with Hayes, my entire relationship with his family could be jeopardised because of her mistake. It's either I lay down and stay calm or drink an entire bottle of whiskey and regret it.  I like to think the influence Katerina has on me is quite pronounced, because I chose the former. I chose to take control instead of losing it like I usually do.

I didn't know what Hayes would ask of me.

I wanted to call her, I wanted to hear her voice but I didn't want to wake her up. Katerina is the only person I think I could actually tolerate. She's got her mother's soft eyes, but she's her father's daughter through and through. A fire in her that can never be doused, no matter how hard the world can try to break her.