Forty-four.

My morning played out like any other

My morning played out like any other. I woke up, feeling a little bit different. I made my way out of my bed, into my bathroom, and then downstairs.

I smiled to myself. I was going on a date tonight. With a rough, arrogant and foul mouthed man. And there was no where else I'd want to be. I couldn't believe we reached this place in our lives, it was giving me a head rush just thinking about it.

My phone pinged as I thought about him. I stopped halfway on the staircase and opened it.

'tonight, Ai Fiori. Picking you up at 6.'

I smiled.

'such a gentleman. Don't you own that place?' I asked, thinking about seeing it on one of his record sheets.

'I do. You don't like it?'

'it sounds lovely. I'll be ready on time, I promise.'

'yeah right.'

I smiled and put my phone in my pocket.

Papa was seated at the kitchen table. He looked like he was miserable. He must've been, after his big show last night.

"hm, recovering from critical condition?" I asked.

He lifted his head and it was as if he wanted to berate me for speaking. But it was me, and he's yelled at me a grand total of two times in my whole life. That's what taught me to never tolerate any man raising their voice at me. Ever.

"ay Katerina, I'm getting old. I can't party the way I used to." he groaned.

I smiled at him.

"do you need to go to the doctor?"

"that's actually a good idea. Can you call someone over?" he asked.

I was pretty surprised, papa was old fashioned and didn't believe that anything was so severe it'd require medical attention. It made me want to throw something at his head. But in actuality, I think he's just afraid of needles.

"sure, I'll call Martinez. He'll know what to give you. For now maybe take a Tylenol." I said, and handed him the bottle. I opened the tap and poured him a glass of water.

"thank you bella. I don't know what I'll do when you're gone."

I bit the inside of my cheek. I wanted to smile, because I'd be leaving and happy, but I'd be leaving my papa behind.

"you'll be okay. I'll interview Valerie, and make sure she's good enough."

He smiled, a small smile.

"she's amazing. Would you be able to meet her? Tomorrow maybe?"

I smiled seeing him smile.

"of course. Of course, I'd love to."

"good. I'll call her." he stood up, stumbled and went into his study. I loved how excited he was to call her.

I called Martinez and he said he'd only be available in the evening. I told him to come anyway. I called my papa's consigliere and told him to cancel all his meetings for the day.