Forty-two.

I woke up this morning with a fresh and positive attitude

I woke up this morning with a fresh and positive attitude. For a change. I had planned to see Lo today, and I wanted to talk to him about trying to make things right with our father. And with Axle.

I understood why my papa was angry. Axle is just a diva. It does warm my heart and terrify me at the same time, that he cares so much for me.

I rolled out of my bed and began to get ready. Matteo was dropping me off and he was going to be back around 7. I wanted to have a full day with Lo, and I think he wanted to go out with me somewhere. His bullet wounds haven't healed completely but he's fully active.

As I got ready in the morning, I felt nervous for some reason. It's like that feeling in your gut when you know something is about to happen. I've always had strong intuition. I think it's something that runs on my papa's side of the family.

Today, November 21st, was the anniversary of my nonno's passing. He's been gone 8 years now. Not a day passes when I don't think about him.

He's buried in Milan, which is why my Nonna never relocated to New York after he passed away. I sobbed so hard, then picked up the phone and dialed my Nonna.

"Katerina." she said, softly. She's been crying too.

I sniffled.

"I'm sorry, it must be so early there." I said.

"I'm so glad I have someone to talk to my angel. I know you miss him."

I shut my eyes tightly and felt the tears rush down my cheeks. I covered my mouth to stop the sob escaping.

"I really do, Nonna. I'm just looking at this bracelet. My heart is aching." my voice broke so badly along the way. But if anyone would understand, it would be Nonna.

I heard her cry. And I felt her pain.

"he loved you too much my angel. Don't ever forget that. You were his greatest treasure."

"no, you were. I'm so sorry I'm making you cry."

"oh I was crying already. I'm going to his headstone today."

I felt my heart crack. I haven't been to Milan since he passed. I just couldn't go back. There's too much history there. His entire life was in Milan. My papa was born there. I had spent countless summers there with my nonno. It's not fair that I haven't been, but I talk to him from where I am. And I know he listens.

"please leave a flower for me. I love you, Nonna. I'll see you soon."

"I love you too, my angel. Don't cry, please. He would hate that."

I chuckled, and ended the call. It's true, he always did hate it when I cried. The memories of him wiping away my tears with his wrinkled hands after I'd skinned my knee flashed through me. Nonno protected me like I was made of glass, but he wanted me to make mistakes and learn from them, he wanted to teach me that the world isn't always kind. He was surrounded by bad men, but still had enough power and wit to rule over them. Nonno and my papa just wanted to build a world that would protect me.