Fifteen.

I don't think I've ever really been this nervous before

I don't think I've ever really been this nervous before. I paced up and down my room. Chewed off half my fingernails and anticipated every possible way this night could go.

I tried listening to Taylor Swift, hoping she would calm me down. She did for the most part.

I sat nervously and waited for the bullets to fly.

My father didn't want me down there. I'm glad he didn't. I didn't want to see Nicolas. I know how these things go, my father has met with plenty men like this in the past but it's never to make deals and negotiate, it's always to hear pleas for mercy. 

After about 10 minutes, I heard the front door opening and heels clacking up the marble staircase.

My mother came home.

She knocked on my door and Trey's voice called out "Ms Hayes, it's your mother." I brushed the hair out of my face and opened the door gently.

She smiled at me.

My heart was already pounding.

"mama, everything okay?" I said to her.

"can I come in?" she asked. I nodded and opened the door wider for her to come in.

"you alright Katerina?" she asked me. She took a glance at my face and I guess she noticed I was panicking.

"I'm fine. Papa is meeting with Nicolas now." I said to her.

"yes, I saw all the rich cars outside. Your father will take care of everything Kat. Don't worry." she said to me.

My body immediately relaxed. She was right. But it was also the feeling of her being here with me. For some strange reason, I felt like my mother was really here. Like she wanted to be here. And I honestly didn't want to be anywhere else.

"how is aunt Mari?" I asked her.

She smiled, ever so slightly.

"she's doing well. She asked to take me to Bahamas next year." she said. I smiled. "mama you know you could go whenever you wanted, papa bought you a jet last year." I said to her and laughed softly.

"you think he'd take time off work to be with me?" she said. Her voice was somewhat condescending. It was as if she was hinting at something, but very indirectly.

"I think he'd do anything you asked him to." I said to her. It was true, he would.

"you're going to get married and leave us Katerina. It's just going to be me and him. Maybe then he'll have some time." she said to me. Her voice now shifted into something more genuine. And this was the most she's spoken to me in years. Something definitely changed with her.

"he has all the time for you now mama. You just have to give him a chance." I said to her. She smiled. "the Don of Cosa Nostra going on a date? Could I ever be so lucky?" she said to me. I laughed again.