Thirty-three.

The cool air of the night brushed through the car as I made my way back home

The cool air of the night brushed through the car as I made my way back home. I'll admit, Carter got me all riled up with what he said.

If I couldn't find a way to keep Katerina safe now, I wasn't good enough for her. I can't protect her and in my line of work if I can't do that, I failed.

But I can protect Katerina. I know I can. And I know I'll find James and rip his head off. I will watch as the life drains from his eyes.

This car ride felt more bleak than any other time I've been in this car. I imagined her tiny hands gripping the wheel and how scared she was to drive this car. If she crashed it I wouldn't have mind.

Stopping at the red light, I thought of Aly. I should go to see her. It has now been almost 2 months since her birthday. It was mid November, the air was getting colder and soon she would be showing.

They need to get married.

A lot of thoughts crossed my mind. The main one being Katerina, in all her elements. Beauty, intelligence and so much care. I needed her around, for my own good.

The thought of going back to an empty home was not appealing but Jaxon was meeting me and I had shit to sort out.

A new face emerged from the shadows. A notorious crimboss in Dale End. Birmingham was becoming icy and more and more trouble was arising.

Marcus Harolds was the man who reached out to around 8000 people before he got to Jaxon. He wanted to organize a shipment with me of his contraband into New York. I was obviously going to decline and burn his home down but his offer seemed somewhat appealing.

From what Jaxon gathered, Marcus wanted me to have all his profits. The canals I use through New York don't come cheap, and he wants to pay for the expense without receiving the profit. Why? Because he wants me to trust him.

After some deliberation, I said yes.

Jaxon needed to discuss things with me first. Paperwork and shit.

When I got home, the house felt stuck for air. It was as if her shadow was dancing around the corners of the house.

Without her, it felt bleak. Life was colorless without her in it. I realised now that I didn't want to be in a world where Katerina doesn't exist. I'd take myself out of it.

This is a feeling I don't ever want to get used to.

I walked upstairs somehow, feeling her presence on my back.

My sheets smelt like her.

My bathroom had her clothes in it.

Images of her lying across my bed occupied my mind.

She's everywhere.

Feeling short for breath, I went outside. I pulled a chair in the garage and poured myself a little more than a double and lit a cigarette.