Forty-three.

The night had drowned in celebration

The night had drowned in celebration. It turned into a full on party, with just my papa, mama, Jaxon, Matteo, Axle and I. We were drinking, the fire was on, music was blaring and everyone was laughing and talking.

My mama came to me, and she had a look on her face that I couldn't quite decipher. I knew she didn't like Axle, but I also knew that she wouldn't be around for much longer. And despite that, I knew I wanted her at my wedding.

A small part of me also knew that whatever she would say now, could hurt. A lot. It's like she's always had this power over my mental state and the way I think, when I was younger I always wanted to do whatever I could for her validation and so that maybe I'd make a decision that would make her happy and she'd talk to me, she'd be normal again and be a mom. But that never happened, even as I grew into a young adult and chose to study, when I left for London, none of the choices I made seemed to please her and it bothered me. I never knew what she was thinking, and why she could never just be happy for me. Now, marrying Axle is something she doesn't approve of but I couldn't care less. Maybe it bothers a small part of me- that's only normal, but I love Axle and he loves me which is more than enough for me.

"Katerina." she said, and I turned around. I'd had four glasses of wine by now, which Axle said wasn't a lot. I loved that about him. He'd carry me home if I needed it.

I smiled.

"mama, did you need something?" I asked.

We were in a corner. It was quiet but I could still hear the music playing on the record player.

"I just... wanted to talk to you." she said, fiddling with her hands.

I nodded, and set my glass down.

"I'm not sure if your papa told you, but he would like for me to leave." her voice was indignant, as if this whole situation was annoying her. I could understand why she would be upset, but it shouldn't have come as a surprise that my papa wasn't happy.

I had two ways to play this, either I knew or I didn't.

"no, I didn't know. Are you alright?" I asked, gently.

"I'm fine. Listen, I don't want to turn this into a long discussion. All I want to know is if there's another woman involved."

Of course, there was. But it was actually so much more than that. I couldn't let him down by saying anything. But I think I was the only person who knew what he endured with my mother.  And although we'll never know what really went wrong with her, and why she became this person, we both knew it was time to move on.

"no, I strongly doubt that. But that can't be the reason he asked you to leave, right?"

She shook her head.

"he didn't say anything. He just said he wasn't happy. And this decision was for the best. He even found a way for me to leave him without getting any money." she scoffed.