Twenty-three

His eyes were scanning my face

His eyes were scanning my face. I could feel his warm gaze on my body.

I took as long as possible to stitch his hand, just to have him close to me. He smelt of cigarettes and blood, but through it I could still smell his cologne.

When my papa got home, I wanted to do everything in my power to avoid my uncles. It's not that I didn't like them, Marco just makes me uncomfortable.

I pulled my shirt higher, because I flashed back to the time when I was 16 and getting something from my papa's desk, and I had to bend over and I guess my shirt was low cut and I hadn't noticed but I felt Marco stare down the chest of his 16 year old niece. He had a filthy grin on his face when I walked out and I hated it.

He also hit me once when I was 12. Which my father doesn't know about.

I went upstairs to call Aly, and I had no intention of coming back down. I just wanted Axle to handle everything, like I knew he would and everything would be okay after that.

They called me back down.

I knew what I did was stupid, standing in front of the guns like that but it was the only way to keep them from shooting Brendan.

I looked at Aly after she told them she was pregnant. My father poured himself a glass of whisky, my uncles stepped outside and Axle placed his hand on his already tense jaw. He was going to get a headache.

He looked at his sister then back at Brendan and shook his head.

"let's go." he said and grabbed her hand. She moved from his grasp and gripped onto my body and held me tightly. She cried a bit into my shoulder and I held her back for a second. I looked up and saw Axle's face. As much as he was trying to be sensitive for me, I could see he was not doing a good job.

"put him in the car Jax and call Chessler." his rough voice spoke, not the voice he was using when he was talking to me earlier.

Aly walked to the door, and Axle followed.

"thank you, Ms Hayes. I'll call you." he said, and touched my hand for a second. I nodded then hugged my body because it was cold.

"you ever step in front of a gun again Katerina, and I'll burn each and every pair of shoes you own, you understand me?" he said, his voice as rough and painful as ever.

I nodded, because that was the worst threat I ever heard.

"wait, I have your coat." I said, reluctantly because I didn't want to give it back.

"keep it." he said, gave me a smile which I knew was hard for him to do given the situation we were in but he smiled, and walked to his car.

I saw the windshield wipers moving in the car and Jax came up behind me.

"Goodnight Kat, please, don't ever step in front of a loaded gun again. For my sake." he said, and I frowned confused.

"what do you mean for your sake?" I asked, and he slumped Brendan's body over his shoulder.