Forty-five.

After a story book date with Axle Kingston, I think the wine made me too sleepy

After a story book date with Axle Kingston, I think the wine made me too sleepy. I went upstairs, slipped out of my dress and removed my make up. The next thing I remembered was waking up the next morning.

I called Aly as soon as I woke up, I had a dream about her. She's doing well, the baby is healthy and she has her next sonagram in a few days. I told her about my date with Axle. She said "typical."

My papa called me downstairs. I followed my usual routine and went into the kitchen. There was such a cold draft of air, I almost didn't even want to walk into the kitchen.

My mother was seated there. About 5 suitcases were near the door. I looked between her and the bags and the look of triumph on my papa's face.

"I wish it could've gone another way, Maria. I really do." papa said, and took her hand in his. I know it hurt him to do this but it was time for him to be loved back. I couldn't imagine what was going on in his head, he just ended a twenty-something year long marriage, it must be hurting him like crazy.

"it's for the best Carlos. And just so you know, I would've left on my own eventually."

I shut my eyes and just listened to the sound of my breathing. I was a grown woman, my parents splitting up shouldn't be such a big deal.

"we'll miss you around here." I said to her, and she looked up when she saw me.

"I'll see you at the wedding Katerina?" she asked.

I just nodded. We weren't even engaged yet. But I nodded.

My papa kissed her on the forehead and she smiled at me before she left. Her sister, Mari was coming to pick her up.

She rolled all her bags out into the driveway and the door closed behind her, like a chapter coming to an end. I was dead certain a while ago that my papa would never be capable of loving anyone other than my mama. But I was wrong. And I was meeting the woman who changed that narrative for him in a couple of hours.

"are you okay?" I asked him.

He smiled.

"I'm fine. It feels different I guess. I never thought it'd come to this." he said, and shrugged.

"we'll get used to it. I'm meeting Valerie later for lunch. I'm really looking forward to it." I said, and he nodded.

"she's excited too. I know you're a bit intense sometimes bella but go easy on her." he pleaded.

"I'm not intense."

"Hm, you've been spending too much time with Kingston, so now I'm not sure. How was your date last night? "

I didn't quite know how to answer that. It was intimate, I loved it. But then my date attacked a teenage boy for touching my hand.

"it was...interesting."