Forty-eight.

Christmas was over and the days were moving along

Christmas was over and the days were moving along. It was the week in between Christmas and new years when you didn't know what day it was. But for me, I knew. Because my life was about to change.

It was moving day, the 27th of December. The air was cold when I rolled out of bed. I could hear clattering in the kitchen.

I brushed my teeth and made my way downstairs to find my papa in the kitchen at the stove. Disaster.

"hi dad, what are you up to?" I asked, startling him.

"oh bella, good morning. I was just, trying to make you some breakfast."

I smiled at him.

"come, sit. I'll make some toast."

He set the dishcloth down and sat next to me. Before I stood up to make the toast, I could see something was bothering him.

"papa, are you okay?" I asked, softly.

"oh mija I'm fine, I'm fine, I just-" the fact that he was so lost for words was shocking, it was bothering me. I sat down in front of him and he couldn't look at me. "you don't know how hard it's going to be for me to let you go." he gushed. This was very odd. Mainly because he never was a very emotional person. But alas, things changed.

"you're going to be fine, dad. I won't even be that far away."

"I know but, what if Kingston stops coming around here as much, because you'll be there with him?" he asked, and I smiled.

"I promise not to stand in the way of your romance with Axle." I said, and he chuckled.

"I trust him bella, but if something goes wrong, you have to tell me. I think this trial run thing is a good idea."

"trial run?" I asked.

"hm, he had a good idea to test your compatibility beforehand. I wouldn't have agreed to let you go with him if I didn't think it was valid."

It's true, usually when a man, especially a Don, wants the girl to live with him before marrying her it's because he thinks she's a flight risk, or she's not loyal. 98% of the time it's the former. But this isn't the case with me.

I wondered why Axle wanted a trial run, especially when we knew we worked well together. But maybe he's right. Maybe it'll be good to work out whatever might come up. Nip it in the bud. I don't see anything that could come up with us anyway.

I nodded and woke up to make the toast and coffee.

"so, are you all packed? Do you need help with anything?" Papa asks.

"majority of my stuff is ready. I left all my books behind, they're all hardbacks, I'd take them with but I'm out of boxes. Any chance you can donate them?" I asked.

"I'm sure we can. Not to worry. To a school perhaps?"

"oh no, maybe a high school. They're very... mature content." I said, nervously.