Forty-seven.

Today is Christmas

Today is Christmas. Like any normal family (not Cosa Nostra), we chose to celebrate it with turkey, gifts and Christmas carols.

I woke up around 6am, beginning with the turkey. The house was quiet, the fire was on, and it was just me, alone with my thoughts. And a giant turkey. My mother was gone, Valerie was staying with us and for the first time in a while, papa was happy, it was all I wanted to see this year. He was no longer alone.

As I stood there in the kitchen, basting my turkey and making stuffing, I looked out at the darkness of the early morning sky. It felt a bit surreal that I would be moving out of here soon. This time gave me the chance to think about everything, and how it's all changed. From the beginning, when I hated Axle, to now, wanting to be his wife.

From my cold hearted mother to Valerie, someone who's known me for less than a month, yet loves me in all the ways my own mother never did. I thought of how I'd formed new friendships along the way, and how different my life would be without Aly or Jaxon.

I thought of all the pain this year brought. Emotional and physical. The attack of course, and also what happened with Tyler. I thought of how I'd hurt Carter, and how much I hated myself for that. I thought of the pain of telling Axle to let me go that night. I seemed to dwell on the negative things.

But as this year is drawing to a close, I realized that my whole life was about to change. Later today, I'd have some of my stuff sent to Axle's house. Next year, at this time, I'd be a wife, preparing turkey in a new home, with a terrifying husband, whom I love so dearly.

I smiled at the thought of him and I spending our first Christmas together. I was ready for the move. It would be different, of course. But with him, anything would be possible. I thought of all the things I'd need to get in order. I would need to start wedding planning, I definitely want to redecorate Axle's bedroom and many parts of his house. But most importantly, I wanted Axle to be loved. I wanted him to know that he doesn't have to be a bleak person with everyone. I wanted him to know that it was okay to feel things.

I was proud of myself for graduating, and completing my degree. I felt accomplished. I thought of my time in London, and all the encounters I had in that city. I feel that it's so important to reflect on the past when a new year is approaching, it's always nice to think about everything and what you want to do differently in the new year. It's also important to remember that things don't always go according to plan, anything can happen that can change your entire life. You never know who you'll meet, who you'll lose, or even whether you'll make it to the new year. So as much we want to think about everything ahead, we must never forget to live in the moment.

I put the turkey in the oven and set my alarm to come back and baste it.

Later on in the day, my phone rang. Axle's name flashed on the screen and I slid my thumb across the screen to answer the call.

"good morning" I yawned into the phone.

"good afternoon angel, you okay?" he asked.

"mhm, I haven't slept much, I'm busy with my turkey."