Fifty.

I don't remember falling asleep

I don't remember falling asleep. I was resting on Axle's shoulder, and the clock read just after 9pm. He was sound asleep with his heavy arm around me.

I smiled, at the thought of the night we'd had. The memory of the car show was hazy, but I could still feel the pain in my stomach from all the laughter.

We'd welcome the new year tonight. Just the two of us. It's my first new year midnight without my family. It would be different, considering Axle was fast asleep.

For a moment, everything felt normal. It almost felt as if we were two normal people, in love with each other, beginning their new lives. But with his gun sticking out of his waistband, and poking me in the place I was stabbed, I realized we were anything but normal. And that's just the way it is. It was a rude awakening.

I smiled, and stroked his hair. He looked so peaceful when he was asleep. I always wonder what it must be like to be in his head. To have this weight on you all the time. To actually be the king of the underworld. Everyone has heard of him and they want to be him, but people don't even know what it's like to be him. And I too, wonder what it's like to be Axle Kingston. The Don. He's a lot more than that to me.

As I stroked his hair, his eyes slowly opened and they sort of struggled to find me.

I smiled, as the visible comfort took over his face once his gaze met mine.

"that was a really good nap." he said, and brushed my hair out of my face.

"we're too young to be falling asleep so early... Actually, I'm too young to be falling asleep so early." I said.

He mock laughed. "Hilarious. How do you feel?" he asked.

"I feel normal actually. Less giggly."

"that was adorable. How was your nap? Sorry if I snored." he said, and pulled me impossibly closer to him.

"It was like a disco nap, but your gun was poking me." I said, and shoved his arm lightly.

"which one?" he said, and smirked.

"grow up."

He laughed and looked at the clock.

"we've got some time before midnight, you feel like going somewhere?" he asked as I rested my head on his shoulder.

"not really, but if you want to go we can." I said, in a welcoming tone. I hope some of this would rub off on him and his awful way of speaking.

"perfect, I didn't want to go anywhere either." he said, and wrapped his arm around me again. The air was cold, the fire was still on, but the warmth radiating off his body was unmatched.

"what do you feel like doing?" I asked, and raised my head to look at him.

"you." he answered, sounding so proud of himself.