Thirty-seven.

There are many things that can evoke fear in someone

There are many things that can evoke fear in someone. At the top of that list is watching one of the most powerful men in the world walking into a room with bloodshot eyes, and talking to another powerful man. It's the type of thing that makes you fear for the state of the universe.

I remember touching him, in a moment that felt like I was placing my hand on a live wire. I remember him leaving in haste, my papa following close behind. I remember watching the car pull out of the driveway so aggressively.

I'd heard people call him "Antichrist". I always thought it was a joke. But it was the furthest thing from humor. It was true. I was in love with the devil. And he'd do anything for me. This reaction has something to do with me. I could sense it.

I fell to my knees and prayed for their safe return. I felt like a war wife. I began to cry for some reason. I don't even know why I was crying because I'm a thousand percent sure they both have been in much more horrifying situations. They'd make it back to me.

I paced until my feet hurt. I tried calling Aly but she's busy planning an engagement party at one of Axle's bars. I tried to focus on that, the joy my best friend was experiencing and trying to live vicariously through her.

I had an epiphany.

I picked up my phone and dialed Jaxons number. He answered on the third ring.

"this better be good, Chris Evans is about to take his shirt off." he said, calmly. Not suitable to the frantic panic I was in.

"Jax, what is happening with Axle and my papa?" I asked. The line went silent

He stammered. "Kat-I"

"you what?"

"James is here. In the bar. Please just keep it quiet. Don't tell anyone. I think he wants to make a deal. He wants peace." he said, my entire room began to shake. I swallowed hard, and felt the nausea make its way through my body.

"please look out for them." I know them. Peace is the last thing on their mind.

"they don't need my help, not with this guy. He'll be lucky if Axe let's him get a word out." Jaxon said nonchalantly. Then again, this wasn't anything big for them. They dealt with things like this all the time.

But this was about me. And I'm pretty sure they're both a bit too impulsive when it comes to me.

I sighed.

"please Jax, rationalize with them. We never know if this can backfire. I just need them to get this over with and get back to me safely." I said, pleading.

"you astound me Kat, he hurt you and you want them to spare him? You and Axle are the perfect dynamic. Bye." he said, and ended the call before I could object.

I sighed, and watched the trees sway into the cold winter night. I hugged my body tightly for warmth and walked downstairs. I need to get drunk.

I poured a glass of chardonnay, which I hate, but it was the closest thing I could find and it would make me drunk. I sat in the kitchen and closed my eyes. Tonight was going to make me very sweaty and I'd probably bite through all my fingernails.