Thirty-eight.

The sky was bright for a winter morning

The sky was bright for a winter morning. It was bitterly cold outside, but the air in the house was warm and filling. I opened my eyes and rubbed them harshly to wake up. It was 10am, everyone's day had begun and tonight Aly was having an engagement party at Axle's bar.

Tensions were high, someone was going to sniff around what happened last night with James. Papa and Axle had to take extra precautions in order to ensure they would be protected if someone had seen them. Though I highly doubt that they cared.

I walked into my bathroom and brushed my teeth with the freezing water touching my hand every now and then. I put my hair up and walked downstairs.

The news was on in the kitchen, a newscaster speaking fastly about the fire at James house. Of course he burnt the house down.

Papa was sitting at the kitchen table, unphased by what the lady was saying.

"we're here outside a home in Manhattan that had been set alight in the early hours of this morning. A body has been found and identified as James Capello, a notorious drug dealer and belonging to multiple organised crime rings. ESU believes the fire was caused by a gas leak but police suspects foul play as Capello's bodies shot execution style have been recovered around New York. FBI officials have made a statement saying they will be working tirelessly trying to find the gang responsible for the deaths. More on this story coming up."

The way this newscaster gave her report gave me chills and made my heart race, especially the part about the FBI. What would happen if they were caught? My father had no reaction to the news at all.

"morning bella." he said, and sipped his tea. He's drinking... tea?

"morning. How'd you sleep?"

"good, cold is starting to bite my ass."

"gross."

"don't forget Alys party tonight." I said.

"I won't."

"and don't be late."

"I won't."

I sighed, and I had to ask what was on my mind.

"papa, are you certain no one saw you  and Axle last night? Linking to James." I asked softly.

"no mija, of course no one saw us. And now his body is burnt so bad, no one would've noticed the wounds." he said, gingerly.

I shook my head.

"you two were ridiculous to behave like that. It can't happen again, okay?" I said, and he looked at me in disbelief.

"o-okay, whatever you need to hear, mija. But just know, Axle did most of the damage last night. The boy is ruthless. And you don't ever need to worry about us getting caught. We own half the cops and agents in this city. Alvarez helped us out," he said, proudly. He was proud of who Axle was, and the way he behaved. He rarely brought up Christian Alvarez, and that only meant one thing- his death affected my father emotionally.