Hyper Power: Prologue

Current year: 2005

Conny's POV

"You may be wondering why I've gathered you all here today." Colten said.

I was in a conference room. In a place called Coltech. Colton Reeds, who's one of the richest people on the planet, has called multiple scientists for a big meeting, but the thing is, we have no idea what this is about.

Another scientist in the room raised his hand.

"Colton sir, first I want to say that it's an honor to meet you, and I'd love to help your research in anyway that I can." The scientist spoke.

Colton grinned.

"I'm glad to hear that, but it's not research that I need from you all." Colton spoke.

"Then what is it?" I asked.

"Superpowers." Colton smiled.

"Superpowers?" My wife Lena said with concern as she looked at me.

"For centuries, humans have been plagued with all sorts of pandemics. Millions of lives lost." Colton spoke as he looked down with sadness. "What if we could prevent this?"

Another scientist began to speak up.

"I don't understand. How will creating superpowers prevent pandemics?" She asked.

"The human immune system can only prevent so many illnesses. Creating superpowers, will also enhance a person's durability along with their new abilities." Colton said. "They can fight off cancer, plagues, viruses, and so many other things. On top of having superpowers, humanity's economy will sky rocket into success. Imagine the Olympics, or other sporting events."

Colton was a man who always used his money for pure intent, even buying homes for homeless people. But this? This is something I never thought he would attempt.

"And what if people decide to commit crimes with these new powers?" Another scientist asked.

"You mean supervillains." Lena said, which made the room go silent.

"Humanity isn't perfect. Supervillains is a strong possibility." Colton said. "But... this can create new professions as well: superheroes. It's a great image for the public. Think of the possibilities. Superhero schools, competitions, and-"

"Typical." Another scientist spoke with annoyance in his voice as he stood up. "Another rich man trying to play God. You can't mess with the natural order of this world. And I won't help you do it."

He then exited the room, and with him, multiple other scientists left.

Colton sighed with depression.

"Wait..." He said and the people leaving stopped and looked at him. "Please... humanity deserves better than this."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Colton was silent for a moment before answering.

"We deserve better than to being weak creatures created by a God that abandoned us." Colton said as he looked down. "When someone has cancer... why does it have to be the end? Why don't they get to have a fighting chance? My wife... she deserved that chance."

The room was silent after Colton said those words, until a scientists spoke up.

"Why does it have to be superpowers? Why not just have us create a cure for cancer?" She asked.