21 | her

"I'll see you soon

"I'll see you soon." I hear my own voice. Everything around me is dark.

"Okay. I'll meet you at the altar."

I still remember the beautiful smile that formed on her lips as she spoke to me. I want to see it for the rest of my life.

Silence fills the air, but then the darkness starts to change. Lights begin to take over my vision before everything around me turns white.

Distinctly, I hear people chattering around me. They all sound happy. I can feel the excitement in the air, like they're going to celebrate something joyful.

But then, their voices fade out, and only silence is left. I look down and find myself wearing a pair of black leather oxfords.

When my gaze darts on my hand, I notice that I'm wearing a wedding suit. Then I remember that this is the day.

I'm standing here, feeling nothing but joy and excitement. Everything feels so serene. So peaceful. My heart has never been this contented that I can't even explain what I'm feeling.

I can proudly say that I'm the happiest man on earth, because today, I will take my vows with the woman I love at this altar. We will be together forever.

Love. One might ask if I really love her, and the answer is yes.

I love Olivia. I love her with all my heart.

I've learned about love since I was very young. I've seen how my parents love each other. I've watched how a man loves a woman, just like my father loves my mother. That's how I love my woman. Nothing less.

Growing up, I've always known what I want.

I don't want to kiss just any girl. To just touch any skin. Or to just have sex with any woman.

I don't want to.

For me, it's only her. Olivia.

Of all people, I choose her.

First confession.

First fight.

First time.

First girlfriend.

First love.

We've been together for years, and finally, today has come. We'll build a family and spend the rest of our lives together.

A sigh escapes from my lips as I wait for her patiently. I'm holding on to her promise like it's all I need to survive this world. No matter what life throws upon us, we'll get through it. Together.

I wait. The clock is ticking, and time passes by.

I'm still waiting. Patiently.

Yet, I still haven't seen her. She still hasn't come here as she promised to.