85 | the day

Mrs

Mrs. Rogers eyes me with curiosity when I come back late into my office after lunchtime.

It's unusual that I didn't come back to work on time -- she even had to cancel one meeting for me because I was late for two hours. And I wasn't with Nevaeh.

I close the door behind me and lock it. This time, I want to be alone. I don't want someone barging into my office to discuss work. I need some time to digest what I just did.

After flopping myself on the couch, I sigh. I close my eyes, raking my fingers through my hair. A few moments of silence pass before I slip my hand into my pants pocket and take out the small box I just got today.

I open the box and stare at the thing I just bought for Nevaeh.

The ring.

Yes, I just bought a diamond ring for her. Not just any ring, but one that will make her mine forever.

After the tragedy that happened on my wedding day two years ago, one would think that I might not want to propose to any woman anymore. But it's different now.

I can't imagine my life without Nevaeh. Having her forever by my side is a need, an urgency. I want to get rid of this fear of losing her that has been haunting my mind.

I'm fucking scared that she will be gone, ripped from me at any moment. I need to ensure that both of us will have each other for the rest of our lives. No more fear. No more doubts.

I'm going to ask Nevaeh to be my wife.

I know that Nevaeh is still in college, and it's not like her father wouldn't kill me. But I'll handle it. It's not something that will stop me.

There's just one thing that still makes me restless, and I know that I have to take care of it. One thing is still stuck in my head for these past two years. I won't be able to completely trust myself and the person I want to be with until I find the answer.

I don't want this insecurity to ruin what I have with Nevaeh. But how am I going to do it?

The thought of facing that darkness again to get rid of it for good makes me nauseous. I need to prepare myself before doing that.

I close the little box and lean back against the couch. I plan to propose to Nevaeh on my birthday. If she asked me what I want for my birthday, I wouldn't ask for anything but her.

Maybe she will grant me one wish, and that's when I pop the question. Would that be called cheating?

I laugh at myself, covering my eyes with my arm as I throw my head back.

Oh, God, I'm fucking crazy.

I chuckle, shaking my head as I turn on the TV. I think I'm losing my mind because of her. Maybe watching the news and getting back to work will bring back my sanity.